ROD BRG. Clearance?

rocketman

212 with ARC rod. How can I get a 0.001" more clearance. Will a machine shop have the equipment to polish 0.001 of the crank? Or you guys have a better idea.? Thanks

Jailbreak method.

File carefully backside of bearing insert to get more clearance.
Bad part is this takes a little of the bearing crush away.

Check with plastigage several places to see if clearance is more closer to the cap split, or in center of cap.

Machine shop likely can polish enough to remove .001.

Btw. I just finished performing this on an ISX cummins with 1 main journal that the cap had loosened and fretted away material bringing bearing clearance to tighter than minimum spec.
Boss did not want to spend +/_ $30k to line bore and reassemble.

So far, so good.

If the your ARC rod uses the same Clevet 77 bearing inserts as the Horstman's for flatheads,, you can buy "clearenced bearing haves". Smaller and larger.
+.010 is for a .010 turned down crank. -.001 or -.002, -.003 add clearance to the standard crank size. You can even mix the haves, like you need .0015 more clearance, put a -.001 half and a -.002 half. Call Hunter at ARC.

Best, WP

If the your ARC rod uses the same Clevet 77 bearing inserts as the Horstman's for flatheads,, you can buy "clearenced bearing haves". Smaller and larger.
+.010 is for a .010 turned down crank. -.001 or -.002, -.003 add clearance to the standard crank size. You can even mix the haves, like you need .0015 more clearance, put a -.001 half and a -.002 half. Call Hunter at ARC.

Best, WP
Thank you sir, I will do that

Back