Roebling Road 2022

Rain man I'll have a t bone.You answered your own question. Think real hard. It does work and rather well ,just think out of the box it should come to you. later Chuck.

Ted , Bystrom had dry axle clutches 30 years ago . Last year I gave 3 away to a friend in Pa. his son still uses them in enduro and won Piston Port at Charlotte last year with one . Good clutch just a pain to adjust at the track later Chuck.

I'm noticing the Birky clutch comes with a belt drive sprocket built into it. Are they available to accept a 428 sprocket/gear?

Sorry to admit it, but my buddy Chuck won relating the SMC. Less discs is the clue, he is right. I don't know how I didn't think on that. Your T-Bone is coming. I'll deliver it to your door once I get my new F-type Jag, lol.

Last edited:
Sorry to admit it, but my buddy Chuck won relating the SMC. Less discs is the clue, he is right. I don't know how I didn't think on that. Your T-Bone is coming. I'll deliver it to your door once I get my new F-type Jag, lol.
You guys are hilarious. I will send over a bottle of wine for ur steaks.

I don't know about the wine but I do know Rain man had some killer rum from Spain I believe at Savannah. Rain don't fret about the stake save the money for tires lol later Chuck.

Spoke to Kevin Birky. Working on a clutch solution. I'll keep you posted
I am sure Kevin Birky can make it work with some major changes, in fact he always set his clutches for the specific engine and gear we run. The good point is once set you do not need to adjust the Birky with every secondary gear change like you do with the SMC.

Agreed, I'm confident in Mr Birky's expertise. Currently we run a 50mm belt from the crank pulley to the the first gear pulley of the jackshaft, then 4 disc Bully clutch to the rear sprocket.

With his clutch our setup will change. The crank pulley will go directly to the clutch on the jackshaft via a 36 mm belt.

FWIW, Nick Hatton (@bentpushrod61) was running his V-twin directly to an axle clutch, SMC. I'm not sure what he had it coming in at, and I'm pretty sure it was a 4 disc. Santiago -- so, what's the setup secret? Removing a disc adds more engagement space, but I'm not sure how that helps? Having the pucks start further down the ramps does what for you? The engagement pressure is determined by the ramp angle, spring pre-load, and weight of puck... Ramp angle can't be changed, and I assume you're maxxing out the weights with tungstens? Please explain.

Never worked on one, but I think Chuck is saying to think about lbs of pressure per square inch of clutch lining.

Fewer inches with same pressure, maybe?

Ted, read what Chuck wrote.
I did, and there wasn't enough info there to draw a conclusion. Feel free to send me a PM with the answer if you don't want it public. Removing a disc would allow the weights to slide out further, increasing their kinetic energy push. But removing a disc also removes 1/5, 1/4, or 1/3 of the friction area. So is it a tradeoff to get more force on less area that still works, or something else? This is a board for sharing knowledge, so no need to be cryptic. If I was going to remove a disc, I'd be more inclined to remove a floater instead of a friction...or is that what y'all are saying?
1647545674985.png

Never worked on one, but I think Chuck is saying to think about lbs of pressure per square inch of clutch lining.

Fewer inches with same pressure, maybe?
To add to this, need to relate friction material acting similar to the way grinding wheels act in relation to speed.

A higher surface speed causes the grinding wheel materials to act harder than they are. Slowing the surface speed makes them act like softer materials. Meaning they wear away, instead of loading up and polishing.
Friction material is nothing more than grinding media, with the resins reacting to temperature.

Your machinist background should bear this fact to be true.

Same material acting in different ways because of the speeds and pressures applied.

Increased lbs per square inch prevents friction material getting to high speed slippage. Instead, it acts softer, and never reaches the glazing/polishing phase.
Gripping, instead of slipping. Less difference in surface speeds.
Surface speeds match up earlier. Clutch engaged.

Brakes work the same way.

Last edited:
I'm kinda' curious why nobody's added more holes for more tungsten on the shoes... that would help too. I would think there's be ample supply of weights by grinding down broken off end mills and router bits for the carbide shafts.

Back