Rolling Internal - Volume & Pressure

Ragnar

Couple of basic questions I wanted to compare notes on......

1) What air pressure are others rolling Maxxis and Vegas at?

2) Is there a limit to how much volume to use at once in order to prevent too much from getting on sidewall? Example: should I roll a 100cc tire in two increments of 50cc?

Thanks

1) I prefer to roll at race pressures, BUT it's also a good time to size the tires slightly since the internal will often cause the tire to change in size. Just do things in moderation and be consistent. Sizing a tire 1/2" bigger with 100 psi and prep in it is not going to get the same results as rolling a tire at race psi.

2) Answer depends on what you are trying to accomplish -- are you trying to break down the sidewalls to lower the spring rate of the tire, or are you wanting to keep the sidewalls stiff and just add prep to the contact patch? If you don't want prep up on the sidewalls as much, then roll no more than 2 ounces at a time, or half the total desired amount for 24 hours, followed by the other half for the next 24 hours, (like you suggested.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Couple of basic questions I wanted to compare notes on......

1) What air pressure are others rolling Maxxis and Vegas at?

2) Is there a limit to how much volume to use at once in order to prevent too much from getting on sidewall? Example: should I roll a 100cc tire in two increments of 50cc?

Thanks

I prefer to roll my tires at a certain size and not so much a certain air pressure. I like to roll all mine at 34.25. To me Maxxis tires have too many inconsistencies with tire size. If you want to stagger all your tires before you roll them thats fine but just know if you roll a tire with 5 pounds it will shrink. Plus another thing you need to look at is set 4 Maxxis at 5 psi and look at the difference in the contour of the tire. Some will be flat and some will have a big dip. Everybody has different methods but I know if I roll my tires at 34.25 and let them sit until I get to the track my tires will be 33 7/8 to 34 every time. My left sides I roll with just enough air to keep them from falling in the rollers. The will typically be small but can easily be stretched to get the stagger you are wanting. Its a lot easier to stretch than shrink.

I prefer to roll everything straight. If you need a 100cc or 150cc its because the track is lacking bite and you need a little extra sidewall deflection. You are going to get prep on the sidewalls no matter how much you roll in them. A tire is like a sponge, prep disperses throughout the tire until it dries and cures. Also the speed of the roller depends on how much the fluid runs up on the sidewall as it turns until its absorbed.

Back