Rolling tires

I think it helps if you have mounted them take out the stem and put prep in with a plastic needle and then put stem back in and pump up to 5 to 10 lbs unless it needs to be streached then like 25 or so I think u control prep better because it can't evaporate away n the tires pores are open more pumped up then flat or not mounted I wouldn't roll just tires or on out side in a pan I would brush a coat on outside every hr but I don't like leaving in pan or out in open to evaporation to happen n waste prep or have a bunch in the air I breath

no . though I have been thinking I need too. I have concluded that we are getting too much prep on the sidewall, that would be the only way to see where it was actually going.

Even when rolling without tire the prep rolls onto the side wall honestly.
I know that the prep soaked in / evaporated about 4 times quicker then rolling mounted. But it did still get on sidewall.
Randy ransom always suggested un mounted and to use bee bee in the tire to hold flat at equal the prep out

Even when rolling without tire the prep rolls onto the side wall honestly.
I know that the prep soaked in / evaporated about 4 times quicker then rolling mounted. But it did still get on sidewall.
Randy ransom always suggested un mounted and to use bee bee in the tire to hold flat at equal the prep out

best info you can get right there...2nd this...

I'm just trying this since I'm short on wheels so what in feeling for is if you should add a little extra for evaporation of ot the same amount gets the same results when rolled with or without wheels

All depends what you are using for prep. The evaporation rate of that prep will obviously dictate whether or not there needs to be more rolled into the tire. I would roll the normal amount and then simulate a heat cycle to see where you're at, then go from there.

I prefer to roll them on wheels with 10-15lbs of air, when you do it this way your swelling up the tire and it creates a dip in the tire for the prep to sit in rather that a flat tire where you have prep all up on the sidewalls. Your still gonna have a little prep on the sidewalls when rolling mounted with air, but not near as much as if you rolled them flat. Also, when you roll tires unmounted or without air, the tire shrinks in size a little, 1/4"-1/2" from my experience, and that is without heat. Its best to just roll them on wheels with air in them.

Give Matt a call and maybe he can shed some light on the type of chemicals he's using or at least an idea of what type of evaporation rate to expect. If I'm using something that I didn't make myself, I always assume the worst case senerio and roll the tires and then simulate a heat cycle to see where I'm at.

If you really want to know what happens to prep and the side walls roll it un-mounted you will be shocked what you see after only one revolution. Use 15 cc so it does not touch side wall . Just use a old tire to test. The side wall will be saturated to the point it drips off bead. Keep in mind the prep is not touching side wall and as tire rolls the center when touched seems to be dry . I've done this more than once my personal conclusion is the side wall takes on as much prep as the center of tire in a sponge effect . Now I'm sure there are gonna be some to post that I'm out of my mind but through this testing I've come to understand tires and chemicals and the effects of chemicals on tires. I use to roll tires with the amount of prep. In one night but now its done over several days with small amounts to prevent saturation of sidewall. IMO Try it for yourself and draw your own conclusion.

If you really want to know what happens to prep and the side walls roll it un-mounted you will be shocked what you see after only one revolution. Use 15 cc so it does not touch side wall . Just use a old tire to test. The side wall will be saturated to the point it drips off bead. Keep in mind the prep is not touching side wall and as tire rolls the center when touched seems to be dry . I've done this more than once my personal conclusion is the side wall takes on as much prep as the center of tire in a sponge effect . Now I'm sure there are gonna be some to post that I'm out of my mind but through this testing I've come to understand tires and chemicals and the effects of chemicals on tires. I use to roll tires with the amount of prep. In one night but now its done over several days with small amounts to prevent saturation of sidewall. IMO Try it for yourself and draw your own conclusion.

Just a thought and it's the first thing I thought reading your post is that your roller is to fast. I agree that rolling smaller amounts at one time is a wise choice and should be thought about. These tires are nylon corded so they are going to have wick effect throughout the tire, therefore getting into the sidewall no matter how much you try. But, you can effect how much initially finds it's way there. If done correctly I believe by the time enough prep gets in the sidewall to effect it, that the fatigue is already there just because of racing on the tire.

Look man roller turns 1 rev per Min. I don't have a issue.I'm not looking for any answers . This is not a debate I posted to a question on rolling without wheels. Have u ever rolled a tire without a wheel ? If not so be it . I knew there would be 1 that couldn't wait to post and point out a problem that didn't exist.

I've rolled tires both mounted and unmounted. There are variables I look at to chose which way I'll roll a tire.

I have a core hot box. It turns slow and still get prep on side walls. Speed has
Nothing to do with it I don't think.
When prep rolls to top it drains off
If you think about it if you spun it fast enough that the g force kept the prep slung out it wouldn't roll down sidewalls.

Without a wheel the prep actually made its way to outside of tire

Look man roller turns 1 rev per Min. I don't have a issue.I'm not looking for any answers . This is not a debate I posted to a question on rolling without wheels. Have u ever rolled a tire without a wheel ? If not so be it . I knew there would be 1 that couldn't wait to post and point out a problem that didn't exist.

Your roller does turn pretty fast... Our rollers turn about 1 revolution every 7 min. I have rolled tires without the wheels and have had very little if any on the sidewalls while using bb's to keep the prep in the tire. Now with that said I prefer to roll the tires mounted.

what is your reason for preferring to roll mounted ? not doubting anyone on any of this just wanting different feedback on different ways

I prefer rolling mounted. I feel like there is no evaporation of the prep then. I have tried the unmounted with BB's method and feel like it is just an unnecessary step that takes up way too much time. Those BB's take some time to get out of the tires

^ There you go.

I still have a box of used BBs -- I hope I never have to use them again!

Coty, our Core box rolls pretty quickly as compared to our Jones...(not knocking either brand - we love them both!) I prefer to roll mounted tires to reduce evaporation. This is especially important if you are using heat.

Tom, who's hot box are you using that the rotisserie is that slow? -- That's the slowest I've heard of and would be a nice way to go for internal prepping.

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back