Rookie red plate jetting

Again, tell me about the force that "pulls" your hand into the carburetor. Can you define it?
A vacuum, by definition, is nothing more than a difference in pressure between 2 areas. It's the word used to describe a pressure differential.
Think of it as 2 closed areas connected with a tube between them. If I raise the pressure in one room, or lower the pressure in the other room (the word "vacuum" is used to describe that pressure differential) the air gets "Pushed" through the tube from the high pressure area room to the low-pressure area room. There's no such thing as "suck" when it comes to describing this flow. If you ever truly hope to understand the workings of the carburetor, you have to understand this.

I am not saying you are wrong with your high falootin explanation of what you are describing to us. I am saying we as back yard mechanics have been using OUR terminology of the topic for ever and all the fancy explanations you have to offer isn't going to change our way of thinking.

"high falootin"
It's been a long time since I've heard that expression. LOL. But seriously, understanding what's "actually" happening can give you a different perspective on what is going on in the carburetor. When it comes to the carburetor, actually the whole fuel and air delivery system, looking at it backwards can seriously skewer your understanding.
There was a time when my perspective was the same as yours, but I learned better. Look at my sig.

Vacum must be one of the most misused words in the dictionary .
Any motorhead uses it exclusively .
The news programs use it too describe outer space .
I worked for a very large company with a very large engineering staff . Built vacum chambers, used vacum boxes and had roofs collapse due to vacum .
All misused descriptions .
Just about certain any school book uses it to describe various negative pressure situations .
Even the handy seal a meal pulls a vacum before locking in that freshness .
Vacum seal those vegetables in the old ball jar .
If you go to a science/ space museum the word vacum will be used incorrectly .

Is it one of the most misused or misspelled? Lol! I had too... say what you want but if I fire my motor up and stick a shop rag in front of the carb that baby is getting sucked into it... and to my Pennsyltucky behind if it’s getting sucked into it like a vacuum I’m using the word vacuum.

Is it one of the most misused or misspelled? Lol! I had too... say what you want but if I fire my motor up and stick a shop rag in front of the carb that baby is getting sucked into it... and to my Pennsyltucky behind if it’s getting sucked into it like a vacuum I’m using the word vacuum.
You can say anything you want, and that terminology is pretty much understood by everybody, that's the purpose of language. Still, that is not what is happening, regardless of what the world thinks. And you might think, if everybody understands it, what's the problem. You want to understand how a carburetor works, forget the word suck. Air and fuel get pushed into the carburetor. They get pushed in by a differential in air pressure. Sorry, that's just how it works, and the more you understand it, the the clearer the process becomes.

Al is correct pressure moves to low pressure every time, the piston is simply moving downward creating a larger space, anything outside of that space is going to move in until it is equalized if possible.

Mispelled maybe both .

Vacuum tested a lot of weld seams with a vacuum box that used a gauge marked vacuum .
Only one Inspector ever said we're really testing this at 32lbs using 18 lbs of vacuum .
I think he was testing me , I knew the reasoning though ;)

I hate to admit this... however Al is exactly right!! And quite frankly those of you that don't understand the difference between suck and blow could gain a whole new understanding as to how and why your carb works the way it does.

Those of us who have been around engines long enough do know the difference between suck and blow. Pretty simple actually. If the engine is blowing other than the exhaust there is a problem somewhere. If the engine is sucking things are good. Lol

Back