rotax 100cc w/ turbo

Not sure how much I'm going to spend just kind of checking my opitions. How do you guys think the turbo will work on round track?

Turbo'd my first engine in late 1976; awesome results, but Ted is right, turbo lag can be an annoying issue. If you're racing, turbos make horsepower, but superchargers make horsepower noticeably more quickly when throttle response is an issue.

A roots style supercharger would be the way to go in my opinion. A turbo could work if you find one small enough so it spools up quickly and if you race on a mostly wide open throttle track with wide turns. Getting it up to boost isn't that hard, I think you could brake boost in a kart like with a car couldn't you? With a turbo you would have to decide whether you want draw thru setup or blow thru unless you come up with some type of fuel injection like megasquirt. I'd be temped to try it. I drive a 95 F150 with an old strait 6cyl that I boosted using a 60mm Garrett turbo, front mount intercooler and megasquirt...i love the added power from boost.

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/

the smallest option should be large enough.

You wouldnt want to do a draw through with a carb. to do so you would need to put the carb in a sealed box as it relies on atmospheric pressure to work. when you boost the air before the carb it messed with that. plus you will be heating the carb to anywhere to 80-120c which the seals probably werent designed to take. a pull through design is optimal.

^^ you have it back asswards, a draw through system is where fuel is pulled through the turbo. a blow through is where you would want a carb box for pressure. I've done it without box using a mikuni blow through and draw through. the last one was my harley and I used a warner-ishi rhb-52, it has a carbon thrust washer for fuel use.

I know this is an old thread, but you can belt drive a Turbo. Though NOS would be a hella' lot cheaper, predictable and easy to install.

He He you'll put plenty of holes in pistons and probably worse before you get a Turbo or roots style blower to work properly IF you ever do. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. Just trying to save someone some grief, even though this an OLD thread. Cost wise it's not to bad, last time I had a bottle filled it was 3.00lb IIRC and a 10lb bottle should get you around 125 shots at 10hp with approximately 10 seconds on the Happy button per shot.

Back