Rough Track setup/tires

Cakalac

So we went to Lake City Kartway in SC on Saturday. Leading up to the race the place had gotten about 6" of rain so I'm not bashing the track when I say it was bad, it was just the uncontrollable bad luck they had to get it ready. The track was really really bad. Rough as you can imagine in turns and straights. It was bumpy rough. When you went in turn one you prayed you didn't come out the kart. One groove sandy race track but had good bite. The guys that are always on their game were still up front. The rest of us were struggling with everything from the right tire to setup to try and deal with the rough track. I was running predator 350/375 and just never felt comfortable on the track. I decided to not even run 350 due to track conditions and just didn't want to risk tearing my stuff up in a crash like a lot did so I chose to race another day.

Predator 350/375
145lb driver
60 Left
68 Cross
46 Nose
8/12 Castor

Had 90/150cc tires 3 wk old in the trailer
Was on 6psi air

There was some talk of loading the kart up with left side weight to try to keep it settles and running high psi. I didn't try the high psi, but did try to move most weight to left side and the kart was just too loose for me so I took it that, that was the wrong adjustment.

If I run into something like this again, what are some suggestions from you guys on what to do that have faced these conditions before?

So we went to Lake City Kartway in SC on Saturday. Leading up to the race the place had gotten about 6" of rain so I'm not bashing the track when I say it was bad, it was just the uncontrollable bad luck they had to get it ready. The track was really really bad. Rough as you can imagine in turns and straights. It was bumpy rough. When you went in turn one you prayed you didn't come out the kart. One groove sandy race track but had good bite. The guys that are always on their game were still up front. The rest of us were struggling with everything from the right tire to setup to try and deal with the rough track. I was running predator 350/375 and just never felt comfortable on the track. I decided to not even run 350 due to track conditions and just didn't want to risk tearing my stuff up in a crash like a lot did so I chose to race another day.

Predator 350/375
145lb driver
60 Left
68 Cross
46 Nose
8/12 Castor

Was on 6psi air

There was some talk of loading the kart up with left side weight to try to keep it settles and running high psi. I didn't try the high psi, but did try to move most weight to left side and the kart was just too loose for me so I took it that, that was the wrong adjustment.

If I run into something like this again, what are some suggestions from you guys on what to do that have faced these conditions before?

On a rough track, lowering the cross will help a lot. With that much cross, the kart is teetering on the LR and RR, and the bumps just make it even worse.

Lowering the cross will help “flatten” out the chassis and let it roll better

if I know the track is going to be rough, bumpy, has holes, etc. im going out on as little air as I can possibly run, 3-4psi for that weight class. allows your tire to take more abuse instead of the basketball tire that can upset the kart worse then its already going to be.

Seems unusual to me, with that much LR weight, if the stagger is right, why so much castor? That's not very far off from what a Sprint kart runs!
cakalac.jpg

Predator 350/375
145lb driver
60 Left
68 Cross
46 Nose
8/12 Castor

Was on 6psi air

What kind of kart? 60 left could be right or could be well off, without knowing type of chassis we cant say yay or nay. Also 150cc was too much internal for classes mentioned.

What kind of kart? 60 left could be right or could be well off, without knowing type of chassis we cant say yay or nay. Also 150cc was too much internal for classes mentioned.
MINecon and the 150's never made it on the kart. We were on 90's when we ran. 60 was what the kart was set at to begin the day. I imagine it got to 62 range when we moved the weight over. We moved 10lbs the the left side to try and help and to me it made it worse.

MINecon and the 150's never made it on the kart. We were on 90's when we ran. 60 was what the kart was set at to begin the day. I imagine it got to 62 range when we moved the weight over. We moved 10lbs the the left side to try and help and to me it made it worse.
The left isnt bad then, nose a tad high, but 3 week old tires was more than likely the issue. Track either wanted fresh, or something more harsh for prep. Also Predator OTB is quite a bit higher with air.

Back