rpm drops

KOZ RACING

Whats the things you look for when you have big rpm drops in the corner. Also what is the normal drop to look for.Thanks

normal drop depends on what track as well as what motor, loose or tight condtions from chassis or tires can cause more rpm drops along with,chassis bind,over prepped tires....sometimes even motor/clutch/gearing/air pressure/stagger.....so many things.....rotor rub/wrong seat installment....

normal drop depends on what track as well as what motor, loose or tight condtions from chassis or tires can cause more rpm drops along with,chassis bind,over prepped tires....sometimes even motor/clutch/gearing/air pressure/stagger.....so many things.....rotor rub/wrong seat installment....

Agree 100% with brad. A normal RPM drop is 200-350 range on asphalt.

Just learned that a few weekends ago at the Syracuse indoor race. Kart felt okay, comfortable, not pushing too bad or two wheeling too bad but just wasnt making time. Looked at the drops and we were droping almost 300 RPM and our teammate was only dropping 120. Ended up bolting on a set of virgin tires and picked up 2 tenths. The drops were showing us that the kart was locked down. Great tool to show us what was wrong. Really helping me to build my notebook for the future. When you are fast, write down what the drops are so you have something to compare other data too later in the season. If it wasnt for our teammate, we never would have had anything to compare it too. Hope that was a good example of what to look for.

Most of the time I don't worry about RPM drop. At times they can be an indicator on rookie karts but with adults there are better ways to gain an understanding about what's going on. When RPM drop is marginally useful it's typically when the kart is held wide open with no brake (like with flatheads on larger, high bite tracks).

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Back