RPM too high but gear ratio is good

Rock

Hello, last weekend we won the feature but the rpm's were 5900-6k. Would using a taller driver and sprocket at the same ratio bring the RPM down?
I think i am losing power. Thanks

No it will not BUT You hit your target rpm ( sweet spot ) don't worry about what the ratio is, If it's a unrestricted clone I'd use which ever front driver I needed to keep rear gears between a 57 and 61, as ask which motor ?

Gotta ask cause you mention 206: Is this sprint or oval?

Whats your RPM drop at this track?

5900 is not necessarily above your target rpm on a yellow slide if your track has a lot of rpm drop.

Gotta ask cause you mention 206: Is this sprint or oval?

Whats your RPM drop at this track?

5900 is not necessarily above your target rpm on a yellow slide if your track has a lot of rpm drop.
Sprint, small asphalt. I think I was confused about the RPM goal, which is to limit out right before the turn after a long straight. We were not hearing the limit so I thought the gearing is off but if we are reaching the max rpm zone then we should be fine to stay with this set up.
Thanks for the help B

You do not need to hit the rev limiter on a yellow slide 206. Depends on the track layout, and as Derek mentioned, the rpm drop you are seeing in the tightest corner.

A dyno cannot tell you the max rpm you should run. It cannot simulate rpm drops due to track configuration, driving style, etc.
A stop watch never lies.
If it's faster on the watch (gauge,) it's faster on the track.

Don't be afraid to experiment a bit on gearing, even if you are currently winning against the current competition. There's always room for improvement. Striving for achieving new personal bests each time out has always been our goal.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Update. We are running well, came in first last weekend in both features and final. I observed that we were adding teeth in order to hit R.E.V. limiter but our time went down from previous sprocket but we were still in the lead so I left it alone. But there was 30 lap free for all race at the end. So I loosened the carb cap to let more air in and we ran our fastest lap time. I guess that’s because we had the extra teeth to get it faster. So we were gearing wrong. I need to figure out the yellow slide’s max hp Peak on the rpm’s so I can have that base line to shoot for. When it comes to the rpm drop in the tightest corner that would be a number we want to keep as high as possible? The rpm number not the difference(drop)?
Thanks guys for the help.

Back