Rpm trouble

Box stock non hemi turns to many rpm. Only changes allowed are remove governor and add top plate and fuel pump. Rule is 5900 on the stand but mine is turning 6100. Nothing has been changed bone stock other than governor unhooked. What should valves float at.

Interesting. Have you pulled the valve cover? Maybe this was someone else’s returned item and they changed springs? :unsure:

I have to check lash and everything seems stock. Now there saying no grinding or shimming in spring to achieve rpm limit. I don’t plan on turning anywhere close but can’t go over the rule

if there is no governor there is no way to limit RPM on a stand with no load being applied other than the engine self destructing . Just make sure to gear the thing so you never go over 5900 if anyone wants to complain show them your tach. if they put it on the stand have them explain how you are supposed to limit the rpm without a governor? what does a governor govern if not the RPM??

put in a used set of springs, as the springs wear out the rpms will fall because of spring failure. sadly RPM rules are stupid. promoter's just don't get it. if they want to keep the field as level as possible. spec gears, tire size, cam lift and duration. and for God sakes, weenee pipe or stock exhaust. then tech tech tech.. the best option for where you are at maybe to do as suggested and work on the throttle stop.

LOL apply the brake when the rpms are getting checked.. more drag should lower the rpms... good luck.. your trying to race in a class that has the best opportunity for frustration. not success.

"Adjust throttle stop"?? Maybe I don't understand, doesn't that mean the throttle will not open completely on the rest of the track?

Al the rule says 5900 rpm. Why wouldnt you stop the throttle from exceeding it? No matter what motor might do you still can't go past it. Personally I would bolt something to the top plate that would restrict the throttle arm from moving too far. It would be adjustable too.

Back