RPM's

what other racing won't tell you can fill volumes....what they will tell you is just enough to be competitive, but not enough that you out run them. learned that years ago....learn by watching, learn by asking and learn by doing. i also learned that racers will, by nature, bend the rules just to the point of breaking...but they will not tell you which way they bent them.....

i hate the trial and error method of finding out what works, but that's really the only way that your going to determine what is best for you. every racer on here will give you a starting point and suggestions, but almost none of them will send you thier notes and settings for you to duplicate. research on the web will usually give you a good base on what you need and then asking on here gives you a little extra to understand what they are talking about. although!! with that being said, different parts of the country have thier own way of doing things....what works down here in the south on a dirt track may be totally opposite of what works on dirt in spokane, washington. same with sets and set ups....what works in miami won't work in denver....

so i guess the bottom line is to take what you learn and test it...record everything you do and every change you make and then go back to square one and apply it to your needs on the track. one second on the track is a lot to make up. even running third, if the leaders are running 50.1 and your running 51.4, then you are always looking over your shoulder for that leader to lap you....

The trial and error is no doubt tedious but at the same time it can be interesting. I have been googling to death some of these questions and have found that much of the time, kart specific info just isnt out there. For sure there is local knowledge and countless variations of the hot setup. A second is A LOT to make up but I dont have to worry about being lapped unless a spin out happens. The races are only 15 laps on a 7/10 mile track so it would be almost impossible for that to happen. even the back markers dont get lapped if they have a clean race. We dont really have much of a dirt oval presence here in south-east Texas, most asphalt sprint tracks. Which is too bad, Id really like to try dirt circle racing. To do that here you have to step up to full sized cars and its just too expensive, at least for me.

I really do appreciate this website and its contributing members. Its a great source for information and guidance. Even if that only means guidance one where to find the answer. I enjoy the research part of it, sometimes I just need some guidance on where I need to research. ;-)

I never worried about telling people what they wanted to know. I really never had any secrets. I was always of the opinion that knowing what to do with that information was far more important.
And not that I ever thought of myself as a “great driver” but I was right up there close.
I know one thing; it’s rare that anyone learns to drive in less than a year. And I think you learn more on a practice day, with a stop watch, than you learn on race day.
And I know this; I would never go to a practice day, or a race day, without a stop watch, an air density gauge and a compression gauge. Few listen to me, but that’s my feelings.
Comments, Compliments, Criticisms and Questions always welcome.

I run a Mychron4 so I have time and RPM data, and I try to practice every weekend, when weather permits. An air density and compression meter arent yet in my tool box but I can see where they would defo be very useful.

You need to move the timing up to at least 28 if not 32-35 this will help you out a lot you can do it by akra rules that csm needs that timing adavance at least 28 to wake up

Thanks Johnny, I have my 8* key in house now and its installation is on the list of things to do while Im on vacation.

If your engine builder is telling you that your 'Box Stock Rules" engine is making 12+hp, you might suspect he is feeding 'Wheaties' too his dyno! Also, IF the motor IS making that kind of power...you need to put ALL of your efforts in finding your problem in your Kart, cuz I wud guarantee you it's NOT the engine. Looks like alot of 'smoke' from my viewpoint.

Back