Rule change to 'open clutch' for Novice Class

Arik434

Looks like one of our local tracks has 'open clutch' rule now for the red plate novice class. In the past a drum clutch was required. There is a 14/58 gear rule as well. I don't know much about the single disc clutches...is there a big advantage for making the switch for this class? I assume its the rotating weight? Thanks for any info...

Thanks,
Arik

Looks like one of our local tracks has 'open clutch' rule now for the red plate novice class. In the past a drum clutch was required. There is a 14/58 gear rule as well. I don't know much about the single disc clutches...is there a big advantage for making the switch for this class? I assume its the rotating weight? Thanks for any info...

Thanks,
Arik
The difference of overall weight is minimal, but the difference of that rotating mass 2" from center on the end of the crankshaft is worth reducing if you can, especially considering how hard most disc clutched lock up and the amount of crank flex some of these clones are seeing.

Single disc Bully would be my preference.

Is it a big advantage? -- In performance, sure, but once the clutch is locked up 1:1 (or nearly), it will make no difference at all what clutch you have on there. So, for starts and restarts you could justify it for sure. Beyond that is up to your driver. With all of these little ones racing, it's generally more about seat time than optimizing performance.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The difference of overall weight is minimal, but the difference of that rotating mass 2" from center on the end of the crankshaft is worth reducing if you can, especially considering how hard most disc clutched lock up and the amount of crank flex some of these clones are seeing.

Single disc Bully would be my preference.

Is it a big advantage? -- In performance, sure, but once the clutch is locked up 1:1 (or nearly), it will make no difference at all what clutch you have on there. So, for starts and restarts you could justify it for sure. Beyond that is up to your driver. With all of these little ones racing, it's generally more about seat time than optimizing performance.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks, I think I’m planning on sticking with the drum clutches for my kids for now.

Back