Rules Question, Coil Posts

Chipg56

I recently became the owner of a bracket that allows you to change timing on a flathead while running. It is rather thick and will require me to trim the length of the posts so the coil will align with the flywheel magnet. Once I do so, is the block forever destined to be a R+D block? Or would it be legal to make spacers between the block and the coil? Thanks for your input.

I know you can only weld one post .
It seems like a discretion call . Technically is a modified post .
Still its in the original position with the original coil .
At the nationals or money races your likely tossed . Saturday at a local show your good .

I recently became the owner of a bracket that allows you to change timing on a flathead while running. It is rather thick and will require me to trim the length of the posts so the coil will align with the flywheel magnet. Once I do so, is the block forever destined to be a R+D block? Or would it be legal to make spacers between the block and the coil? Thanks for your input.
with a wingnut? that thing was designed by George Owensby aka 'rocket man' greatest Limited/open modified flathead builder ever a lot of builders use them testing on the dyno

Yes, with a wingnut. Dyno testing is my intent, but returning to legality will influence which block I use.

How far offset the mount is .
It might possibly work with
un- modified posts .
Testing in a different block seems like would give different results .
Mr . Carlson might have some input .
I thought i saw where he had used one for testing.

I have this set-up on our mule engine for testing various things (cams, pipes, etc.) with varying ignition timing on the dyno. It has come in handy many times tuning with and diagnosing particular coils that like more advance due to higher retard above 4000 rpm. On mine, you have to shorten the ears on the mount/block. It's not just a little bit either - it is very noticeable.

As far as legality -- you cannot move the coil or repair more than 1 ear for that reason....so, I would say that cutting them both short is a nokey dokey. With that said, consider that guys using the newer style BB flywheel are spacing the coils out (not even necessary) and are passing tech -- I suspect a tech man would have to be VERY picky to call this out. If they see that the coil has been positionally moved (clockewise or height from flywheel) then it's a pretty clear call. Good question to which I am not sure how this would be teched today (again, given guys running the flywheels designed to be used with a starter gear.) Technically, it's illegal, but will it be called out, is another story.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

There is an exception in the rule book for the "new flywheels" with the statement that the coil posts must be unmodified from original. As I do not have any desire to cheat or cause controversy, I will only use the fixture on test blocks.

Here is the instructions to install the time machine. I talked to Mike Clements about it in great detail. There is not much left after you remove a inch and a 1/8. The instructions says a 1/16 of the leg will be left above the fins.

Attachments

• 346276220_137387902664870_8305841224088876274_n.jpg
    346276220_137387902664870_8305841224088876274_n.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 29
Michael was the first to make the time machine. There were copies of such like, George Owenby (rocketman), raceng and other's. You can always apply devcon or JB around coil bosses for added structural support. I have many flathead gems in my arsenal and quite familiar.
Long live them flatties

Michael was the first to make the time machine. There were copies of such like, George Owenby (rocketman), raceng and other's. You can always apply devcon or JB around coil bosses for added structural support. I have many flathead gems in my arsenal and quite familiar.
Long live them flatties
What would be a fair price for my time machine? Yeah I kinda remember the time machine was Mike's deal. I was friends with Jack Leake and Otis Merritt. Both of them did work for me. I know George through Bobs 4 cycle. He has answered questions for me over the years. Never could get him to do any work. He is tight lipped however he taught me a few things. I may just contact him and see what he says. I was friends with Mike Clements too. Mike never did any work for me. He did answer many questions for me may he rest in peace like Jack and Otis.

Last edited:
Back