Rules Question need opinions

A set of "competitive" Burris tires MUST be cut and prepped. That is not always the case with some other brands. Can you win on a set of sticker Burris? Not likely. So now, you take arguably one of the most expensive brands of tires and just made them considerably more expensive by paying a tire guy to cut, finish, etc your tires just to be on that proverbial level playing field.
Come on now, we have been thru this before. Uncut Burris can and do win all the time. We have done it and seen it done all over Indiana. No cutting, no grinding, no internal prep, and sometimes without even a pre-race wipe. Yes, even at Ben Hur, we ran sub-19 seconds, set fast lap for the class, and ran right with everyone on a track where most everyone else, presumably on cuts, were lapping at around 19.1 seconds. Actually, that particular set was not a sticker set at that point. They were at the beginning of their 3rd season and never saw a lathe or grinder.

I’m not saying there is no speed to be had from cutting and prepping, obviously there is most times at most places. I’m saying there are many tracks in our area that can be run competitively with uncut minimally prepped Burris tires that last for more than a season. Guys with trailers full of tires are not all that relevant to a conversation about tire rules and prices. Those of us who run 1, 2 maybe 3 sets for an entire season or more know how a tire rule affects us. These are the guys we need back in the sport.

Tire rules can go either way. It has to be the right tire in the right place and it helps if the surrounding area is all the same. In that case, a tire rule can save many racers money and help to level the playing field. It can easily go the other direction if it is the wrong tire in the wrong place, or wrong situation, etc.

And what does this"average racer" get at the points banquet for supporting the track all season long and purchasing the spec brand of tires?
Let's assume the "average racer" has "average" finishes each night, and finishes a respectable, but "average" 3rd place in year end points? How did this tire rule help him?
This “average racer” ran 1 set of tires for the entire season at a local track (Well, I actually missed a few races) and received product from Burris, and other track sponsors, at the banquet.

No one seems to want to start a spec "engine builder" or spec "chassis" rule.
LO206?:D

More and more karters are beginning to see thru all this prep and cut that shops are convincing teams they must do to win when in most cases in the Midwest a simple scuffing of a Burris tire and on dirt possibly washing them and treating them lightly with simple green will get the job done and they can be used race after race...and Burris B--B tires are even better in most cases. If the manufacture of tires recommends you don't cut their tires then why does the shops tell you to do so...its economics it puts money in their pockets and it makes sense that an open tire rule will cause you to have to carry a wider selection of tires because of track conditions if you cut and prep when you could just adjust for conditions with kart changes such as wheel size, air pressure and other kart changes such as caster, camber, cross etc. A shop that does tires along with set for customers can handle a lot more racers by pre-cutting and treating their tires and at the track can change what final prep they need before the features, if they are also supporting a shop kart they will make all the other changes to put their kart up front.
Some shops get special deals from tire manufactures to push a certain tire over what is norm in that area or they get them on consignment which definitely helps those shops which have don't have funds to stock large quantities.

As far as banquets go Burris does support the tracks that have a Burris tire rule, how the tracks use that year end support is at the tracks discretion, they don't say this is what you have to give 1st place ,2nd place etc., in addition there are some other benefits they offer those tracks, if I ran at one of those tracks for year end rewards I would ask just what other benefits I could get, such as merchandise at a discount or just what deal that track has with Burris or any sponsor of that track.

Went and got my popcorn and drink for this one and got side tracked working on........................tires DAMN it! lol

Back