Rules with rules in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorookie34

So we are newer (1st full season this past year) and we just found about a rule we didn't know existed, which seems like a big issue.

Helmets cams, which we've determined are not safe and against akra and aka and few other actual rules.

I don't have an akra book, but we do run clones now. We bought a motor, run it, haven't been disqualified, and just assume the guy we bought it from was legit.

Seems typical.

The track didnt say anything and allows others to run helmet cams.

Don't remember seeing it in the rules for the track either.

My question is how do I get an Akra book?

Or does the track I race at, just run clones and they don't have to be akra or aka sanctioned or whatever?

And does everyone know you need to have a book for stuff like this, because clearly you can't count on the track or vets of the sport to make sure you're 100% all the time.

I never thought about it being dangerous, but want my team safest as possible. A rule would of helped.

Also, we duct tape the mount on, I'd never think of drilling holes in a helmet.

TIA

Get the rule book .
From most suppliers or akra .
Track can say we follow akra rules and not be a alra sanctioned track .
Which Means they can make up there own rules .

So we are newer (1st full season this past year) and we just found about a rule we didn't know existed, which seems like a big issue.

Helmets cams, which we've determined are not safe and against akra and aka and few other actual rules.

I don't have an akra book, but we do run clones now. We bought a motor, run it, haven't been disqualified, and just assume the guy we bought it from was legit.

Seems typical.

The track didnt say anything and allows others to run helmet cams.

Don't remember seeing it in the rules for the track either.

My question is how do I get an Akra book?

Or does the track I race at, just run clones and they don't have to be akra or aka sanctioned or whatever?

And does everyone know you need to have a book for stuff like this, because clearly you can't count on the track or vets of the sport to make sure you're 100% all the time.

I never thought about it being dangerous, but want my team safest as possible. A rule would of helped.

Also, we duct tape the mount on, I'd never think of drilling holes in a helmet.

TIA
It is against the rules akra, nka, and so on. Some tracks do allow cameras on the helmet but know they are not legal by sanctioning bodies for safety purposes. With that said a lot of smaller tracks allow cameras because they feel it will get more interest and draw more racers to the track. Is a go pro safe on any aspect of the kart NO. Will people still do it YES.

Use double sided tape on the bottom of the mount. It will look alot nicer if nothing else.
You can drill a hole in a helmet, I drill ours for sissy straps.

Just don't want to weaken the helmet by any means. We race the talladega of dirt kart tracks imo, I just want my kids as safe as possible is all.

Thought we could count on the tracks and vets a little more, honestly. Not mad at anyone but it's like, see something, say something. Especially when it comes to safety.

I'm baffled that this is the first time Ive ever heard of cameras being dangerous and just as importantly, against the rules.

Some just don't care. Whether ignorance or arrogance depends on the person or the situation. The helmet argument with cameras is simple when you think about the added object that is involved in an impact. You can't account for random objects that might happen to hit a helmet or be collateral in an accident, but you can account for a blunt object if its already fixed to the outer shell that isn't meant to safe guard against it.

I will never understand why people run a GoPro on the top of their helmet. You look like a dummy.

Mount it to the body or fairing if you want to record.
Plenty of people use cameras to watch their kids hands and feet and re-watch races

I've seen cameras mounted on helmets in all types of sports, and never once thought of the word dummy. Maybe it takes one to know one. 🤔

Plenty of people use cameras to watch their kids hands and feet and re-watch races

I've seen cameras mounted on helmets in all types of sports, and never once thought of the word dummy. Maybe it takes one to know one. 🤔
you do you . if its not in your rules nothing too stop you .
no amount of supporting evidence or opinion will change a mind thats made up .

you do you . if its not in your rules nothing too stop you .
no amount of supporting evidence or opinion will change a mind thats made up .
No and no.

Your second statement is also not true. It's called a paradigm shift.

You do you instead.

I asked my original question in regards to safety for my young drivers. It's not in the rule book for my track, yet against akra...those two should not clash and they should see eye to eye, ESPECIALLY on safety.

It is True , Lots of things Should be.
Unfortunately rules are made too suit . People make rules too suit they're needs .
If the safety reasons are not obvious :unsure: .
Heck we've done it .
I jumped off a bridge as a youngster . Perfectly fine .
My friend jumped as well .
He could not swim .
He did not see any danger in the act .

I asked my original question in regards to safety for my young drivers. It's not in the rule book for my track, yet against akra...those two should not clash and they should see eye to eye, ESPECIALLY on safety.

I'm most familiar with what mentioned in post #2. Most tracks say the follow "X" rules but may have some leniency of which rules are enforced or are amended. You're coming across as though safety is a very high priority for your race team. I would have to challenge that by your action to think it's OK to duct tape a camera to a helmet. Then you want to shift blame to the track or veteran racers for not telling you it's not OK to do that.

I don't know how you came about ultimately discovering that a helmet mounted camera was not safe / legal. It seems that once you learned about it you have acknowledged it's not a good idea. Racing is humbling so stay humble and asks questions. This is a great forum that I have no doubt would have responded to a post if you had asked about mounting a camera to a helmet. As the saying goes: just because you don't see a rule that says you can't do it doesn't mean you can.

I was asking for other people too. It just seems like a pretty important rule. I can't be the only one under the impression that akra or aka are for the engines only.

I never thought duct taping a camera was dangerous because others had theirs actually mounted (without tape)

I found out it's dangerous and illegal at the same time. It blows my mind that the track I ran at was cool with it.

We really do want to be as safe as possible, people get hurt in the best stuff and these are my kids. So I hope they are always in the best my money can buy

I appreciate the advice on staying humble.

Akra /nka /wka all have full rules sets . Not just engine rules .
Most folks are only concerned with engine rules , especially new racers .

Just don't want to weaken the helmet by any means. We race the talladega of dirt kart tracks imo, I just want my kids as safe as possible is all.

Thought we could count on the tracks and vets a little more, honestly. Not mad at anyone but it's like, see something, say something. Especially when it comes to safety.

I'm baffled that this is the first time Ive ever heard of cameras being dangerous and just as importantly, against the rules.
It is the racers responsibility to know the rules. The track, organization, club, etc. does not come to each and every participant to explain the rules.

It's the racers responsibility to know a rule that is not there?

The track says jr2, the weight, purple plate
They also have a section for safety.

Neither of these sections mention camera mounting.

I ask about it on here, and it seems like common knowledge per akra and aka rules.

Not only is it dangerous, it's illegal and we won't be covered on insurance.

Question, can I put my purple plate in any engine?

Your answer will be no.

How do I know that?

I figured it out.

Safety shouldn't be like that.

You shouldn't have to be born into kart racing to understand it enough to do it.

We, myself included have to do better.

Take it how you want. We went to A LOT of races and no one said anything.

So either EVERYONE was new, doesn't know, or doesn't care.

If it's the racers responsibility, ya'll are irresponsible.

You can go do nothing and complain about whatever.

I put this up because it needs to be known.

Even if it only helps one person.

The track/series in particular determines the rules. Couple examples-

Day show series 1 in PA- safety tech kart and helmet/chest protector if needed teched before race 1 starts and sticker placed on kart. Stated to follow AKRA/WKA rules. Pre tech quick sheet is posted and available. Engine tech after races determined by finishing order. Full rule book. No mention of helmet cameras.

Day show series 2 in PA- no safety tech, but a pre tech sheet posted before season starts and enforceable. Stated to follow AKRA/WKA rules. Engine tech after races determined by finishing order. Full rule book. No mention of helmet cameras.

Local track 1 in PA- no safety tech, but stated to follow WKA engine/chassis rules. Engine tech after races determined by finishing order. Engine tech after races determined by finishing order on random pick. Full track rule book posted each year. No mention of helmet cameras.

Local track 2 in PA- no safety tech, but stated to follow AKRA/WKA engine/chassis rules. Minimal tech enforced other than engine spot checking except for money races. Full rule book, cameras allowed as mentioned/described mounting in the rules.

Local track 3 in PA- safety tech kart and helmet/chest protector if needed teched before race 1 starts and sticker placed on kart. Engine tech after races determined by finishing order. Chassis tech enforced via spot checking during money races as well. Full rule book posted each year. No helmet mounted cameras mentioned in rules.

Every one states its the competitors responsibility to know and follow the rules. Federal/State discussion ensues. Do you follow the governing body rules, or the specific track rules? If they contradict, just because the track says you can makes it legal there, even if being illegal somewhere else. No good answer either way.

I remember NKA making a very concerted effort to enforce the helmet rules. Pre tech, announcements, stickers on helmets specifically. Even so far as Randall Lyles removing D rings that were placed on the helmet via the chin strap bolts in pre tech.

On a local level there is way more slack for obvious reasons and unfortunately it takes misfortune to bring an issue to light or make it known. At the bigger events most assume you know the rules, or the rules will be enforced to some basic level. Again, just an assumption.

The other issue is if someone just bought a fancy camera for their helmet, and someone comes up and says its not allowed, how is that conversation going to go? Whether it makes it right or wrong, the person who has money invested is going to have a difference of opinion unless enforced via tech or track. And depending on how that goes they may not come back, so how likely is the track to say something? Locally I would say one track would enforce, the other wouldn't even know the rule exists to enforce, and the last wouldn't care and would say its in the rules its their responsibility to follow them.

I can try and help my customers follow the rules and be aware, but new people to the sport anymore either welcome the help or are already a world champion. Very few welcome the help. Most are already world champions and don't need any help they know what they know.

The customer is always right philosophy is a plague.

It is always the racers responsibility to seek out the proper rule book and know what you are supposed to be doing, Nobody is going to spoon feed this to you. You raced an entire year under the akra rules and this is the first you are seeking out your own copy of the book?

"It's the racers responsibility to know a rule that is not there?"

Did they say they follow "xxxx rule book" and you never thought to get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back