Rumor has it??

I just got off the phone with a life long buddy and he told me there is talk of a new dirt track in the planning stages. Best part about it is that it is 5 miles from the house in Alexandria Indiana. I sureally hope the owners follow through. Been a long time coming.

Just saw that Marion Co fairgrounds will have a new dirt track called Circle City Raceway. 1/4mile with a smaller track inside. Owned by the guy who owns the Speedrome. Is that the one you're talking about.

They are talking about the old arms camp speedway. It will take time to get it anywhere near ready. Just like Gaston fair track I had them ready to go but not enough funds nor help to turn it around. I hope it is more than hot air (talk) but we will see.

Brian different track buddy! Original post was about the Arms Camp speedway in Alexandria that has sat dormant for many years.
I know the Speedrome owner obviously has enough money!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!

Brian different track buddy! Original post was about the Arms Camp speedway in Alexandria that has sat dormant for many years.
I know the Speedrome owner obviously has enough money!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!
Seems you know what I am taking about. What have you heard so far about it? I have rabbit hunted this place for years and it takes a great imagination to see this place in its hayday.

Ya Flathead I have heard from one guy that the land which the track sits on was owned by 2 businesses has been now purchased by one. I do know that the property which has been cleaned up in recent years still would need a lot of work and money.
The amount of initial dirt if not donated would run about 30-40 tri-axles full. At $400 for proper clay that is easy to manage it would take 20,000 initially for everything just to get started. Plus the time to lay it down and develop a pit area and stands.
I hope it happens but I do not see it in the very near future. If it does I would definitely race there as I live in town.
I talked to a guy on the fair board who wanted to get Gaston up and going. I went out there and showed him what needed done and it was a lot further along than Alexandria. It just need graded and shaped. Already has stands press box and lights everything to turn a track around for next year. Could of had a 1/4 and a 1/8 for different nights. Plus they already had the equipment and a huge pit area.
I have learned to trust only so many when it comes to the operations of tracks around indiana.
Let's hope it happens at the old Armscamp soon but do not hold your breath! Like I said earlier if it does I would run a kart out there in atheist 2 classes.

Oh absolutely it could but the guys saying they can get it going do not have the money! Nor have access to it!
I would love to see it happen! I really would but know the people behind this and just do not see it!
I promise if it goes I will help build it into a venue that everyone would love to come too!

Where is this Arms Camp track located in Alex ? Originally from Gas City area and go back quite often, would like to go check it out. Gaston fair grounds going to run karts ?

Armscamp is about 1 mile west of st.rd.9 on st.rd.28 (north side of road). You can see the remnants of the old tracks.

I do not see Gaston running! I spent some time with one of their board members showing him how he could easily have it ready in a matter of weeks. Never got back to me after that. Gaston would be ideal due to the large parking area and the track has an opportunity to be a premier place due to the shape,speeds and access to have a big track and small track. Problem is the guy i talked to seemed more worried about once a year truck pulls

O.K. Armscamp I have been there. A couple years ago. My Father-in-law showed me where it was and we pulled into a business parking lot and walked to it and saw most of the track, lights that were still there. Would be awesome to see it be rescued ! He could not remember the name of it but told me how him and a couple buddies would go there and crawl through the fence to watch some races when he was in high school. That would have been in the early 50's / late 40's.

Last edited:
Uncle Larry exactly! I have heard another of stories about it including it being torched (fire) because people didn't like it there.
Not sure what they will use for pit space and parking but would love to see them get it going.

Next time I come down to Gas City, I may buzz over there and see if anything is happening, just for kicks and giggles...😂 I think Whitey Karnes also raised Shetland ponies in Marion. If it was the same guy running Armscamp, he was also a huge Edsel guy. He had a few of them.

Back