Running a 2 disc clutch for the first time.

EthanP3

Ive been using the cheaper Max Tourqe drums for almost year and finally got confident enough to get a disc clutch. It engages at 3,900. Running it on a Predator Hemi with CL-1 cam and 10.8 springs. I noticed my last race my usual gears 14/60 (with the max tourqe) felt like i had slower acceleration using the Disc clutch like i had a taller gear. Is this normal? Do drum and disk have diffrent gear combos?

Not different gear combos .
Your engagement is likely higher.
3900 seems high for a predator .
Add weights or back the springs off .
If you want to lower it .
I was confused on where it needed to be set. I float the valves at 5400 and have been told hemis fall on their face so wasnt sure.

Assuming you got Bully, go to their website find your clutch and follow their explicit instructions to reach the engagement speed you want. Combinations of springs, weights, and spring heights will get you there. None of the Chinese rototiller motors will make real box stock power over 4800-5000 rpms on track. There is a big difference between the required rpm in the tech shed and what you actually turn on the track. You reach a point, where these motors, exceeding their power band, just make more noise, not power.

The advantage of the disk clutch is slight. You have to adjust it precisely to stall at just below or right at peak torqure to see any gains. Even then it might be parody because a box stock engine will have broad flat power curves so it doesn't matter too much where it locks.

Ive been using the cheaper Max Tourqe drums for almost year and finally got confident enough to get a disc clutch. It engages at 3,900. Running it on a Predator Hemi with CL-1 cam and 10.8 springs. I noticed my last race my usual gears 14/60 (with the max tourqe) felt like i had slower acceleration using the Disc clutch like i had a taller gear. Is this normal? Do drum and disk have diffrent gear combos?

Not different gear combo requirements. I think you are just a bit high on engagement is all with the mods that you've made to your Predator.
Add some bolts to the weight levers and see if you like the lower engagement. Engagement should be at, or near, peak torque of your engine...I suspect that will be in the 36-3800 range.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back