Running road course !!! Need hair pin help...

Hello I have a oval offset chassis.. running a special road course race. What some adjustments to make kart turn good in a sharp right hair pin... Enclose pic of section...red line .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190722-234325.png
    Screenshot_20190722-234325.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 37
7 lefts and 3 rights .
Tire size and location , low cross , stagger and front end geometry seem like things too consider .

I'll be first to admit knowing very little about road course racing, but with the course you show I don't think I would tune to be real good for the hair pin even If you are much better there can't see much passing going on there, I would tune more for the lefts than the right's and make sure I knew gearing.

7 lefts and 3 rights .
Tire size and location , low cross , stagger and front end geometry seem like things too consider .

How do I lower the cross ?? I have rockerd my spindles back and down... Would I have a wider rear spacing than I do on dirt oval ?

I'll be first to admit knowing very little about road course racing, but with the course you show I don't think I would tune to be real good for the hair pin even If you are much better there can't see much passing going on there, I would tune more for the lefts than the right's and make sure I knew gearing.

Normally try change little to get Thur hair pin since loose most ground there or can't run them down if they pass me off there.. I normally run good rest of track. But want you loose ground hard to get it back..

Even If you got it perfect for the hair pin better than EVERYONE while racing thru the field your not going to just blast right past them with NO momentum lose as you have NO control of where you catch them, so you will not gain much off that turn anyway So I would tune to be best where I saw the best chances to pass keeping in mind once I got the lead I had to be better at the majority of the turns and as good down the straight's to keep it.

Last edited:
I'm curious and not sure have you raced this course before ? and If so without the hair pin ? Or your mostly an oval racer and just are going to run this race ?

many years ago there was a guy here that ran a nemesis on a road course and it had more left hand turns than right, he set it up close to a sprint baseline.

Normally try change little to get Thur hair pin since loose most ground there or can't run them down if they pass me off there.. I normally run good rest of track. But want you loose ground hard to get it back..
What problem do you have in the hairpin ?
What chassis?
How is it setup now ?

If you're on asphalt you have to set it up everything the same on both sides, zero toe, slight neg camber and yes, use max width in the rear track.

What problem do you have in the hairpin ?
What chassis?
How is it setup now ?
Getting it to to turn right sharp ....
Even out front washers. Widen tires out far can go. Widen rear end. 5" from carrier to backside of hub. Phenom panthom chassis offset kart . 4.50 tires front . 6.00 rear . No lead on kart . I weight 160lbs. No weight rule. Rocker spindles down far they go back...

Negative camber on right and left .
Maybe alittle more negative on the right . To help lift that inside rr.
Is the axle moved over too the right from the dirt oval location ?
Is the 5 inches both sides ? Im thinking it is .
Do you have much practice time to try some odd stuff , usually not .
You have both caster blocks rolled all the way back ?
Rolling the right say 2 degrees in front of the left will add some turning power and add camber gain on that side .
As RP said Kj26 might have better info , or jpm

Getting it to to turn right sharp ....
Even out front washers. Widen tires out far can go. Widen rear end. 5" from carrier to backside of hub. Phenom panthom chassis offset kart . 4.50 tires front . 6.00 rear . No lead on kart . I weight 160lbs. No weight rule. Rocker spindles down far they go back...
Does it push all the way out too the edge scrubbing the tires the whole way ?
Or you need to slow way down and make several steering inputs to go around ?

That 1 turn is going to be best routed by how you enter, brake ,or pitch the kart Into that odd turn, and have the kart better suited for the other turns, you and numerous opponents are facing that lap after lap and driver experience is how you'll pass or get through faster, I use to run sprint tracks when I was a kid, had a lot of fun back then.

Back