RUSH Series kicks off 2015 season in exciting fashion

The RUSH Series kicked off the 2015 campaign Saturday night at Blairsville Speedway. Despite an 80 percent chance of rain and two showers that hit the track Blairsville promoter Pete Miller was encouraged we could get the show in. What ended up happening was one of the best shows RUSH drivers have put on in the last two years.

In the Wooley Hollow Junior clone class "the empire executioner" Blake Matjoulis and "kid smooth" clint smith led the field down the green flag. A bobble by clint on the first lap getting into one allowed Blake to pull away to about a 5-6 kart length lead. That was pretty much where the gap stayed till lap 13 when the caution came out. On the restart it was Matjoulis, smith, Kody Johnson, Brodie Orveatz and Parker Cooper. As the green came out for an always interesting green white checker finish Smith tried to drive in under Matjoulis getting into one. Unable to completely get beside Matjoulis clint backed off and attempted to setup one last effort on the final lap getting into one. He was able to get to about Blake's door but that was as close as he would come and Blake Matjoulis pulled off the first feature of the year with the RUSH Series. The rest of the finishing order was:
1. Blake Matjoulis
2. Clint Smith
3. Kody Johnson
4. Brodie Orveatz
5. Parker Cooper
We would also like to take some time to welcome Kody, Brodie and Parker to the RUSH family. They did excellent job Saturday night on a track that I believe they had never raced on before. Cant wait as the season continues to watch these young kids develop.

Sometimes I think its a shame that karting does not receive the respect that it should as a spectator sport. Granted, we are not the big cars but the Senior clone race at Blairsville Saturday night was one of the best races I can remember seeing big car or kart wise. My notes are a little sketchy as I helped to score this race due to kart count so forgive me if Im off a little but this is how I think it played out in general.

Last years RUSH Fairmont West Virginia Winner Brock Sloan and Jarod John brought the field down to the green. Getting into turn one seemed a little crazy as a gap opened up right through the center of one and two. Shooting through that gap were the 29 of Ryan Neese and the 27 of Andy Lazeration. Neese who had admittedly struggled most of the night suddenly found himself in second. As the race continued the battles in the middle of the pack continued Kimberly Taylor, Chris Claar, Colton Walters and Jarod John battled for the mid pack spots. As the race was drawing to an end it was Sloan, Neese and Lazeration who it appeared where going to decide the ultimate outcome. With I believe 3 to go Neese finally made his move getting into one. Sloan would dive back under him putting Neese on the outside getting into three after running side by side the final laps Neese was able to clear Sloan getting into one on the final lap taking his second straight Blairsville RUSH win dating back to last years Blaise Mathieson Memorial. The rest of the finishing order was:
1. Ryan Neese
2. Brock Sloan
3. Andy Lazeration
4. Kimberly Taylor
5. Chirs Claar
6. Colton Walters
7. Jarod John
8. Dan Burkett
9. Richard Swanson
10. Hutch Fry
11. Brandon Lomax
12. Jarret Snyder
13. Adam Ferree
14. Jake Swanson
15. Nick Simon
16. Isaac Caretti

It needs to be pointed out that the RUSH Senior class division ran 4 heat races and a 20 lap feature with no yellows the entire night. Also want to thank Dan Burkett for coming out to race with us for the first time and want to give a call out to the "old man" Richard Swanson on a great first run with the Series.

Want to give a big thanks out to Pete Miller for an excellent track surface. Despite the rain the track was absolutely perfect. The staff treated us great all night and it was a real nice time.

Would like to thank all that came out Saturday night despite the conditions. I think 16 in the senior class was stellar especially given the level of talent. Its really cool for me and Tracy to see the support.

Thanks to everyone,

RUSH Series Directors

Back