Rusted nerf bar stuck in chassis

Ratistiss

Suggestions on how to remove this chunk of rusted nerf bar stuck in the chassis. Somehow the rusted chunk survived the chassis getting powder coated.

Attachments

• PXL_20230730_140705907.jpg
    PXL_20230730_140705907.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 99
Fresh powder coat makes it a little trickey .
Will definitely take some finesse. Leaving it may be best if possible. Drilling could work . Anything that could further wedge it in is risky .
A splitting chisel would be last resort . Sawing it with a hacksaw blade would take days . Any internal expanding device will make it worse . Washing the rust out with diesel fuel and a slide hammer /seal puller with a hooked end after several applications of the lubricant .

Soak with PB blaster and reduce the diameter with a punch, wedging it between the nerf and the nerf tube, in several spots around the circumference.

are you sure that's a piece of nerf bar?
! are we talking about that doughnut shaped piece all the way down there? because
1 never seen a nerf bar that thick. they are usually thin as to bend before the chassis does
2 how did it break off so clean with such an even flat edge?
it almost looks like something that was put down there to stop the nerf bar from punching through the chassis tube
at least that's what I see

are you sure that's a piece of nerf bar?
! are we talking about that doughnut shaped piece all the way down there? because
1 never seen a nerf bar that thick. they are usually thin as to bend before the chassis does
2 how did it break off so clean with such an even flat edge?
it almost looks like something that was put down there to stop the nerf bar from punching through the chassis tube
at least that's what I see
I am sure it is the nerf bar becuase when I pulled the nerf bar out that end tore off. This happened when I was stripping the chassis before I sent it to powdercoat last January. I just hadnt got around to setting this chassis back up until now since we have been racing the champ kart. So yea its a chunk of nerf bar.

Tip kart on side, fill tube just above piece with PB blaster, let sit overnight. You might have to apply some heat, using a heat gun would be ideal not to mess up powder coat. We broke off a steering post years back and it was rusted in there like concrete.

Make sure you remove that seat strut before trying to remove. If you are good with a welder you could clean up the end and weld a nut to it. Then take a bolt another nut and a thick washer. Screw nut in with washer on the outside and use a wrench to tighten nut pushing the washer over nerf bar hole. Spray pb blaster and Continue tightening nut until broken nerf bar starts moving.

Did you ever get it out? Just curious.
I did get it out successfully. PB buster for 24hrs and then refilled and heated it. Then I stuck a skinny chisel in there to catch the edge of the nerf bar and banged it up a little. It was all compacted after that so I used a hose with a high pressure nozzle to wash the rust out. Then have I made a hook out of a coat hanger and played with the metal ball/piece to get the rest of it pulled out. Was about a 2hr. process so not too bad.

Back