Safety thought.

krtrcn

I've been in this sport since 1995 and have been very lucky to not have been in an accident that needed medical attention.
I'm one of those guy's that doesn't have anyone with me at the track, yes I race with a group of friends, they don't know any of my contacts or medical information, if I needed to be transported to the hospital, pray I don't.
What I've done is, I took a plastic shipping pouch and on a piece of paper put my emergency contact, insurance and medical info on it.
Name, address, and so forth.
I have one on my kart seat and one in my trailer. Its just a good idea I feel like, it better to be safe and prepared in case something was to happen.

That`s a good idea since I also travel alone to the track. Let your friends know its there and its purpose.
Talk to a friend to make arrangements to pack up your truck/trailer and transport it home or safe place if needed.
In your phone contacts put ICE (in case of emergency) before names of emergency contacts.

Based on my experience (as crew, whose driver had a bad spill one night), if you are the driver, it's a good idea whether you do it alone or not.

Used to have to fill out a form with all of this information when you signed in to race, at least if it was the first time you were at the track or at the start of a new season. I would hope all responsible track owners would do this.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember a track asking for more than my name and a telephone number, and then having me sign a disclaimer form, for a long time. I should probably ask about their insurance too... although the lack of an ambulance anywhere in sight probably already answers that question for me...

Used to have to fill out a form with all of this information when you signed in to race, at least if it was the first time you were at the track or at the start of a new season. I would hope all responsible track owners would do this.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember a track asking for more than my name and a telephone number, and then having me sign a disclaimer form, for a long time. I should probably ask about their insurance too... although the lack of an ambulance anywhere in sight probably already answers that question for me...
I agree, we had all important information for our regulars, and mentioned filling a card out to visitors, some did some didnt.
No ambulance or EMT's with the ambulance just a few minutes away means shady track, probably best to move along

In addition to being a racer I’m a runner/cyclist and am out by myself a lot. When I’m running or cycling I wear a wrist band with an ID tag that has my emergency contact info and an 800# to call for more info. The company has my medical and insurance info on file along with my address and additional emergency contacts. I hadn’t thought of it before but I think I’ll start wearing it when I’m at the race track too.

pretty much everyone has a smart phone these days you can also add and emergency list to your cell phones locked home screen so that in an emergency paramedics or who needs to can open just that screen on your phone and have your full list of important info they need.

Thanks for starting this convo krtrcn! Great idea/reminder! I've been around a few organizations over the years that require at least minimal info on a visible place of the helmet. Even a notice of I.C.E. bracelet, etc. While our race clubs may have our info in the office, non-race days may present themselves with no one with access.

I've seen race helmets with Name and Blood Type. Motorcycle touring clubs that highly recommend as much I.C.E. and medical info as possible on the helmet in the event of a serious accident on the road and/or unconciousness. Many of us kart in traveling series with race family that are familiar with each other, yet do not have any details that would be needed in an critical emergency. Father/child duos can make use of this system just as much as solo participants should an ambulance ride to the ER be required from the track.

We had an out of town father and son both racing at a recent national event. Dad required EMT and a lengthy lookover at the hospital, leaving an unaware sportsman racer under our tent with little info how to reach anyone - lucky, Dad made it back to the track near the end of the day with good news.

Personally, I'd like to see all major kart organizations start a movement standardizing the placement of ICE material in a universal place in our trailers, just as we should have first aid and Fire extinguishers. Hmm - that give me an idea...

pretty much everyone has a smart phone these days you can also add and emergency list to your cell phones locked home screen so that in an emergency paramedics or who needs to can open just that screen on your phone and have your full list of important info they need.
QR.png
There are several free QR code generators available that can take EMTs to custom websites, simple PDF notes, etc.

Back