Sand tires at track between races?

Marcis71

What are your thoughts about sanding your tires at the track between races? The jig I made to spin the tire while sanding is portable and we are planning on flipping the tires before the feature (money race tonight). I know that prep sure seems to go in a freshly sanded tire better but is it worth the time?

What are your thoughts about sanding your tires at the track between races? The jig I made to spin the tire while sanding is portable and we are planning on flipping the tires before the feature (money race tonight). I know that prep sure seems to go in a freshly sanded tire better but is it worth the time?
Well if you spent all week prepping your tires that would be for nothing unless your scuffing them very little

My thought's would be IF your tires need sanded at the track between races your on the wrong tires to begin with, If they have been finished and prepped you race them they show no excessive wear and you feel track has stabilized staying the same prep according and re-run them, If they show excess wear of course sand before racing again but unless you only have one set I would not re-run them the same night, and If your forced to re-run them don't add more prep just sand them and go.

^^ for sure .
The rubber fingers work good of just need a quick cleaning up .
Thanks all. I race at a no prep track usually but tonight is a money race at a track I haven't been to in years and we have to run the same set of tires all night. Sanding between was just a thought to get every little advantage if there was an advantage to be had.

Thanks all. I race at a no prep track usually but tonight is a money race at a track I haven't been to in years and we have to run the same set of tires all night. Sanding between was just a thought to get every little advantage if there was an advantage to be had.
When forced to run same tire with NO prep especially a quick re-finish would be helpful.

Back