sandblasting options

mouse31

only local options are steel shot or aluminum oxide, which would be the best option for blasting a frame

no I have a couple local powder coating companys to choose from, but they only offer steel shot or aluminum oxide. always reading about the side effects possibly caused by aggressive blasting media, no one local offers walnut shell or soda blast.

Either is kind of harsh dont say wheelabrader. If so check out eastwood they have a chemical that works.wire brush on grinder works grest also .have to agree alu oxide before steel .

id strip it myself the best i could with aircraft stripper first just so it wont be as harsh when they do it. if they get it too hot when they are sandblasting it could tweak your frame if they dont know what they are doing or if they dont care in general. if you gave them less to do it would be easier on the kart.

Walnut shells or plastic media. Glass, steel shot, or Aluminum oxide are not good for the welds. I know everyone is going to say I do it all the time and no problem.. Well that is cool.

It is not good for the welds and removes to much materal and imbeds itself in the welds during blasting. Have it done with plastic media or walnut shells.. or strip it yourself with a chemical stripper.

Aluminum oxide is pretty aggressive. I wouldn't even think of steel shot. Plastic or walnut shells. I've used sand and glass BUT....it was old and not aggressive. The problem with sand, aluminum oxide, and NEW glass is not the heat that is generated, but the fact that it etches the tubing and will make it thinner in some spots. Especially if held in one spot too long to get that stubborn bit of paint. Stripper is a safe way to remove paint from a chassis, but be careful of fumes and always do it outside. The best way I have done it for years before the softer media, is to take a really course piece of sand paper and go all over the chassis. This will allow the stripper to get down into the paint. When applying stripper, use a brush but DON'T keep working it like you do paint . When you do this it releases most of the chemicals in the stripper that makes it work. You just want to dab it on kind of thick and let it set. Try not to do it in direct sunlight. Get under a shade tree or some sort of cover. The hot sun will dry it out too quick, making it hard to remove. After the paint has wrinkled up good, just use a wooden paint stick or a piece of hard plastic to remove it. There will be some places that will still have some paint left. What I do is to take a propane torch and "flash" the paint and use a wire brush to remove it. Doesn't have to be real hot, just enough to remove the paint with a wire brush. I do this to all the welds where the paint is harder to remove. When you have removed all the paint, then wipe it down with some thinner. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Better yet a full face sheild. Good luck and have fun.

Back