Saturday night tech

bullerman

How does the teching go at most local Saturday night tracks. When I first started racing the track I raced out was really just starting up. Weren't many karts but it built up pretty fast. Mainly flathead. I guess you could protest but it didn't happen much.
The track would pick one class a night. Whoever they picked would be pulled off to the side after crossing the scales. After the races you pulled your motor off and took it to them to tech. The first three took their motors to the barn. If the first one passed he was declared the winner and they didn't fool with the other two. Just wondering how tracks do it now.

90% of the tracks we race at here in FL and the SE, shine a flashlight through the carb to check the plate in all plate classes and thats about it. I've seen a valve spring check once in our 4 years of racing. Of course when we outran the local favorites at a local bullring one night by half a track our motor was scrutinized and found "illegal" due to a torn intake gasket. ;)

around here, win a big money race, your motor leaves the track in a box. points race check fuel for all classes, predator top five are checked for RPM they will pull filter shine a light at the flywheel. people can buy the engine etc. average Saturday night it will be a protest made by the racer who thinks there is something fishy but rarely happens

Would be surprised how many stock appearing motors there are in akra classes.
That would be pretty bold. You can hear a difference at that level. However, I’m sure they’re are some folks running a MOD2 cam that will pass a lift check.

I had a tech guy tell me last year that there is more cheating going on behind podium karts than there is in the front. The front guys are good at the hard stuff.

^ Absolutely the truth! Most cheated up engines never make it to the tech barn because they don't finish in the top 3-5.
The guys up front are generally the ones that put in the effort to win legally; tires, tires, and tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Karting has always been a case of "well we are cheating so the guys that beat us must be"unfortunately most refuse to admit that they are just not that good.

It's only fun if you are on the podium is a problem with your thinking not the sport

90% of the tracks we race at here in FL and the SE, shine a flashlight through the carb to check the plate in all plate classes and thats about it. I've seen a valve spring check once in our 4 years of racing. Of course when we outran the local favorites at a local bullring one night by half a track our motor was scrutinized and found "illegal" due to a torn intake gasket. ;)
Agreed. Saturday night races are pretty light on tear downs outside of protests. They will routinely do simple checks on the top three like checking the restrictor plates, testing for fuel additives and ensuring the silencer on the exhaust is tight and all baffles are present.

The hp loss on a plate motor is the plate not much can be done to the motor to help hp if plate is legal so plate is where you check first ...our track is going to have at least two classes in tech per week...on adult classes lift ..springs ..carb ..pushrods ...retainer weights on clone...flathead carb ..heads ...pop up ..carb ...fuel..our are main checks are you guys saying for 100 or 200 dollars motors should leave in a box?

The hp loss on a plate motor is the plate not much can be done to the motor to help hp if plate is legal so plate is where you check first ...our track is going to have at least two classes in tech per week...on adult classes lift ..springs ..carb ..pushrods ...retainer weights on clone...flathead carb ..heads ...pop up ..carb ...fuel..our are main checks are you guys saying for 100 or 200 dollars motors should leave in a box?
If I leave with my engine in a box then its been a great day at the track ;)

our are main checks are you guys saying for 100 or 200 dollars motors should leave in a box?
I raced many races and been tech at many tracks that raced for trophies, that did anywhere from peak-a-boo tech to full send it home in a box. That's just the way it was and kart counts were always substantial.

Back