Saw it again today

New guy I know--ran a clone wide open on the stand--now has a window in the front of the block--don't be that guy--don't run em wide open on the stand with no load--same for clone, animals, and flatheads. John

What do people get out of running them wide open with no load on it like that? I just dont understand why someone would rev a motor to full throttle and just hold it there, with no load at all on the engine. Seems to me its common sense that the motor is eventually gonna blow up when someone does that to it. Ill admit i have occasionally revved an engine while checking things or playing with different carb settings and trying things, but when i did, the engine always was on a kart, with clutch and chain on it and hooked to the axle, as it is raced, and never wide open at all.

Seems like I see this with new folks who just simply don't know better--lots of time it is plate motors --seems like motor builders take too much for granted with new folks--I guess there needs to be a users manual with every motor purchase. Maybe somebody will read this thread and save their motor as a result. John

I think quite a few of these racer Dads just need something that sits on a stand to make racing noises with.

I hear engines wound out in the pit area every single night of the year. They are simply performing a rod test, or maybe they are stretching the rod bolts, or "seating the bearings." ;)

I've preached to not run the engine without load for years, and invariably someone will come along and say "This is nonsense - we rev them all the time and never had one failure." What I regularly tell people who ask about this, is if they would consider jacking up the rear of their pick-up and revving the engine to 6000+rpm?

Maybe I should start promoting this crazy practice: Keep revving them on the stand -- it's good for business. ;)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I hear engines wound out in the pit area every single night of the year. They are simply performing a rod test, or maybe they are stretching the rod bolts, or "seating the bearings." ;)

I've preached to not run the engine without load for years, and invariably someone will come along and say "This is nonsense - we rev them all the time and never had one failure." What I regularly tell people who ask about this, is if they would consider jacking up the rear of their pick-up and revving the engine to 6000+rpm?

Maybe I should start promoting this crazy practice: Keep revving them on the stand -- it's good for business. ;)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

This is so true!

The motor sound cool when they are wide open on the stand showing off to the other racers how bad of motor he has, and after about 20 to 30 seconds BOOM

I had a fresh motor - brand new build sitting on the stand - was breaking it in at a low idle. My neighbor came over to talk about something and I was distracted. I ened up walking over to his garage while my motor continued to purr along. All of a sudden, I hear (from my neighbors garage) MY motor start revving at full throttle. The throttle arm had vibrated out of the carb and the carb opened full open. I haven't run that fast in 30 years! Luckily, the thing didn't explode, but MAN, I thought I was jumping on a grenade when I entered that garage. The motor was SCREAMING.

Later, I opened it up and poked around a bit - no damage this season!

i saw a owners manual on a race engin a few weeks ago this was an expensive engin ,like an 1800 dollar flathead for stock class .anway i had to read it and nowhwere in the "book" did not say not to hold it wide open for extended periods of time . my novice advice would be what the guys at ez bore told me
read jimmy glens book even if your running clowns or animals the basis or foundation goes back to tiller motors . but common sense should prevail .welcom to the modern age can i googleup some ??? wanna buy a motor ??

i saw a owners manual on a race engin a few weeks ago this was an expensive engin ,like an 1800 dollar flathead for stock class .anway i had to read it and nowhwere in the "book" did not say not to hold it wide open for extended periods of time . my novice advice would be what the guys at ez bore told me
read jimmy glens book even if your running clowns or animals the basis or foundation goes back to tiller motors . but common sense should prevail .welcom to the modern age can i googleup some ??? wanna buy a motor ??[/QUOTE /] --------------------------- I bet it did not say( HOLD Wide OPEN ) on Stand either.

And every time I am at the track there are at least half dozen guys doing the wide open racing on their kart stand. I will talk to the guy next to me and say wait to hear the BOOM real soon

Back