Scale kart and tire setup

Aaron.w

I would like any info on how to scale my kart
What it means to offset
Why to offset tires
What percentages do I need my kart to be on a 3/8 mile slightly banked track

My motor seems great I'm losing speed in the corner my front end seems to be either pushing but when its catches then the back gets lose

I widened my rear axle by 1 /34 after the race because I realized it was alot shorter than my wife's kart which handles considerably better

2010's ultramax

Taking a wild guess on the dimensions of the track, I estimate rear stagger at about 1/2" to 3/4". I'm estimating a turn radius of 125 feet. It's important to know! Knowing how wide the track is is important. The wider it is the less stagger, by a little. I would anticipate higher tire pressures. It's hard to estimate all this stuff without any information.

Taking a wild guess on the dimensions of the track, I estimate rear stagger at about 1/2" to 3/4". I'm estimating a turn radius of 125 feet. It's important to know! Knowing how wide the track is is important. The wider it is the less stagger, by a little. I would anticipate higher tire pressures. It's hard to estimate all this stuff without any information.
I was running 5 and 6 on tire pressure the kart just pushed on entry then gets tight in the center and loose on exit. I think the best I can do in the situation is scale the kart at the best of my ability and reevaluate. I was told when I bought the kart It was setup for the track but it is terrible my wife's kart which is an antique frame with minumum adjusted me handles way better

Gotta figure out what you have before you can get scaling info, If you can post a good picture of the rear of frame by the cassette hangers, and the front spindle area where you would adjust cross .

I was running 5 and 6 on tire pressure the kart just pushed on entry then gets tight in the center and loose on exit. I think the best I can do in the situation is scale the kart at the best of my ability and reevaluate. I was told when I bought the kart It was setup for the track but it is terrible my wife's kart which is an antique frame with minumum adjusted me handles way better
Do you have any set up numbers at all? Tire pressure is way too low.

Do you have any set up numbers at all? Tire pressure is way too low.
How can you say that without knowing which track, or the amount of bite track has? Air is related to the bite in the track itself, he may be close with it, and at 320 lbs., he isnt going to be very high to begin with.
I ran tires at 4 and 4.5 on a 1/4 mile race car track for air, was the fastest kart there and that was at 375 lbs., following year helped a champ at same track. Was on 5.5 and 6, won 2 classes that day, including Pro and champ is at 425 lbs.
Lots of big tracks have low bite situations.
Also, ran a race in Mississippi one year at Whynot, we were between 6-8 all day.
Air is relevant to how good, or how low, the bite is in the track.

Al you are so clueless on stagger it isn't even funny, you have "Zero" dirt oval experience and tell new people incorrect information, please stop it

I'm going by my experience on a 3/8 mile track in San Jose California. We raced there several times and I won every race we ran in the KT100 class. By a wide margin to boot.
Back in 1950 on a straight rail kart and narrow tires, your info is outdated

Even in sprint racing, what happened in 1977 has NOTHING in common with karts today (other than they both have an engine and 4 wheels).

In 1977, sprint karts ran a 1" axle, had an overall width of under 40" most likely, and tires that were narrower, MUCH harder, and had completely different construction than tires of today.

Zero correlation.

PM

Even in sprint racing, what happened in 1977 has NOTHING in common with karts today (other than they both have an engine and 4 wheels).

In 1977, sprint karts ran a 1" axle, had an overall width of under 40" most likely, and tires that were narrower, MUCH harder, and had completely different construction than tires of today.

Zero correlation.

PM
All true, so what? I was running a KT100 with a dry clutch, flat out, no lifting the entire lap. Today's KT100 makes a little more horsepower, the tires bite better, the rear tread width is about the same on a dirt kart. It was a KT100 with a pipe, I'm pretty sure it was making more HP than a stock 4 cycle. Lap times in the high 15s. How does that compare to today's lap times on a 3/8 mile track?
Oh, and no stagger!

Attachments

• 20201006_131930.jpg
    20201006_131930.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20201006_131920.jpg
    20201006_131920.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201006_131913.jpg
    20201006_131913.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 69
Back