Scale question.

krtrcn

My question is how many times does a person you races the same track, maybe 15 times during the race season.
This is my situation, I personally scale mine out at the start of the season, and then maybe once or twice more, if it wasn't in some type of accident.
Just curious, because I'm thinking about buying a set of scales. I'm lucky now because my neighbor has a set we use.
Thanks

Every week.
Always try new and different things on non points/ larger pay out races, be surprised what you can find.

It's called chasing the perfect set up...unless you take the time to make tweaks on the set up on the scales from week to week, you'll never experience it unless the set up you have in it happens to line up with the track surface condition on any given night by pure luck...😉

For your average hobby racer, scaling once a year (aside from obvious crashes) may be fine. When you're ready to get serious about competition, you'll want to scale more often and try some thing, as others have already pointed out. Factory set-ups are simply a starting point...you will need to fine tune from there. Scales are a tool, and good tools are invaluable assets.
That's very nice of your friend to scale you out, but you don't want to wear him out doing it every week either. Most shops charge $75 or more to scale and make adjustments....be sure to take care of your friend. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I like to scale every week, don't always get to it but i try. I have identified, on numerous occasions, where my cross changed due to a tweaked spindle caused by a bad rut in the track. The same goes with toe settings: they seem to drift after a couple of races.
If you want your kart to be the best it can be take the time and effort to give it what it needs.

Always try new and different things on non points/ larger pay out races, be surprised what you can find.
When you're ready to get serious about competition, you'll want to scale more often and try some thing, as others have already pointed out.
Could you elaborate on different things to try? Are you talking about moving weights or changing weights to achieve different percentages, hanging weight higher / lower, changing seat location or position, move engine mount back / forward (experiment with chain length), changing caster / camber, spindle hole location, wheel spacing, etc? I understand that some people are in the "set it and forget it" on some of these topics. I'm curious on what trials you'd suggest and what is better left alone.

Could you elaborate on different things to try? Are you talking about moving weights or changing weights to achieve different percentages, hanging weight higher / lower, changing seat location or position, move engine mount back / forward (experiment with chain length), changing caster / camber, spindle hole location, wheel spacing, etc? I understand that some people are in the "set it and forget it" on some of these topics. I'm curious on what trials you'd suggest and what is better left alone.
All of the above plus

Back