Scaling a Kart

LooksLikeFun

This will be my first ever attempt in scaling my kart out, and it will be using cheap dial bathroom scales. I know I need to have them set up on a level floor and tires at running air pressure,beside being in it with my racing gear what else do I need to do as far as adding weight and getting to my right set up. Its a 2013 Triton I will be running super heavy/clone if it makes any difference. I just need to get it as close to right as possible until I can get it scaled on the right scales.

I did it this way for awhile, it works find. The one tip I will give ya is find a known weight and dial all the scales into that weight, not zero.

besides trying to find the actual weights/percentages , do you have all the tools to check the toe and camber first ?

besides trying to find the actual weights/percentages , do you have all the tools to check the toe and camber first ?

it don't seem like the toe and camber would make a difference in the weight of the kart would it? toe and camber would just show the angle of the tire wouldn't it? I'm not trying to get it set up to run a big money race just a local sat. track and once I get the percentage's right I'll worry about toe and camber.

Toe can be done with a tape measure or a lazer line and a tape measure.....doesn't have to be high dollar set up. Camber gauges can be found cheap and I would recommend getting one for sure.

What will you be using for software? Or are you just going to use a calculator? I can offer you a free Excel spreadsheet to do the math for you.

Nothing wrong with using bathroom scales. As long as you calibrate all four of them to a known weight. And of course they'll have to be at the same level. One way to check is to weigh the kart, write down all the corner weights, then turn the kart 180°. If all four numbers are the same you can be pretty much assured that the scales are all level to each other.

Getting your numbers right is important I suppose, but duplicating them every time you put the kart on the scales is more important. No matter what numbers show up on the scale, if the kart works with those numbers, they must be good. If you make adjustments at the track, re-scale when you get home and save the numbers.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Toe and camber can significantly affect the percentages you will get. It won't affect the total weight.
You should check with the kart manufacturer to ask how significantly it will affect the numbers you get.
LTG on the Phantom forum is an excellent resource for you.

Nose-47.0
Left-56.0
Left front spindle all the way up
Right front spindle all the way down
Right front camber-3 1/2
Left front camber- 0.0
Right front castor- 11.0 pos.
Left front castor-7.0 pos.
Front stagger 1 1/2
Rear stagger 1 1/4

Tires maxxis pinks rights
3/4 ounce lambert blue
3/4 ounce mafia original
Mixed together in a glass container which combined =1 1/2 ounces
Take valve stem out squeeze or push down on tire place a small tube on a small funnel
Then with valve stem to the bottom place funnel on valve stem and pour mix into funnel while relaxing tire
Put valve stem in being careful not to move tire not to splash onto side walls put 10 psi air
Carefully carry to roller and let roll 24 hours do not put anything on the outside

Left rear- straight up nothing on inside

Left front - 1/2 ounce lambert blue and 1/2 mafia original
Roll all tires together at the same time.
Before the bashing starts:
I have been out of karting for a few years. Why?
I am in late model stock cars now, but I have a trophy case full of trophies from karting
And I have been on a lot of different chassis and I can say this though experience.
And have outrun big names in karting on old chassis.
I have come to learn they are all a piece of metal and they all will take the same numbers
Now kart manufactors will not like this post as well as tire guru's that want your money
The only reason I am giving out this secret is I am no longer in this sport after a lot hanging around all the right people. Here is my email just in case someone wants to see if I know what I am talking about.
Wayneshell4@gmail.com

Back