Scaling question

Lucky_7

This might be pretty straight forward. But wanted to ask anyway.

Got two sets of tires. Obviously they are not the exact same. I have the kart setup in what I think is great shape with set 1. My brain is telling me to scale the kart with set 1 and right down those numbers. Then match those numbers with set 2. And have a setup sheet for both sets. What do you guys do?

Use one set of tires that stagger correctly and make all adjustments from there. You can check with the other set and see how tire size and stagger affects cross and such.

That would depend on If your talking 2 different tire brands not same brand tires just different compounds. Some examples your racing on Burris 11's and you feel the kart is dialed in on those, the other set is Burris 33's No need to re-scale, provided 33's is the right choice for track condition. If set 1 is Burris 33's kart is dialed in and set #2 is complete different brand then yes re-scale, pretty much cross is the only difference.

Yellow Vegas are set 1. Pinks and blues set 2. Stagger is different between the two sets, but close...
I assume dirt oval racing so with ever changing conditions very seldom do the stars line up 100% and everything is perfect I would put it on scales and document difference but not make any changes until I tried set #2. then if needed make adjustments based on what kart is doing.

Yup, Mine are all very close to the same. Left front is bigger on the maxxis. Figured that would lose some cross and I would need to adjust that out.

To take this a step further...let's say set 1 staggers 1 and 3/4 front and rear....set 2 staggers 1 and 1/2 rear, 1 and 5/8 front...what changes if any?

To take this a step further...let's say set 1 staggers 1 and 3/4 front and rear....set 2 staggers 1 and 1/2 rear, 1 and 5/8 front...what changes if any?
front stagger is unimportant we usually just mount tires and what ever it is, it is , lowering rear stagger will tighten the kart from apex off, it will also increase cross when making the rr smaller, and increase cross if making lr larger

Last edited:
Back