Scaling question

How much does air pressure mess with scaling? Basically, can I add air to get my stagger regardless of the air pressure? This is only to scale, not to race. I will get my stagger right, but right now my hot box is occupied.

How much does air pressure mess with scaling? Basically, can I add air to get my stagger regardless of the air pressure? This is only to scale, not to race. I will get my stagger right, but right now my hot box is occupied.
You don't need a hot box to change stagger, valve core puller, torch, and air, and 30 min of time.

If you're talking a pound or two, go for it; but if you're trying to size tires 1/8" or more, then you wont' get accurate scaling numbers.
Get your tires sized correctly at race pressure BEFORE putting them on the scales.
Take the time to do the job right -- it'll pay off in the end.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you're talking a pound or two, go for it; but if you're trying to size tires 1/8" or more, then you wont' get accurate scaling numbers.
Get your tires sized correctly at race pressure BEFORE putting them on the scales.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Completely agreed! Scaling is somewhat of a "precision" process. I find it's important to simply have a defined and repeatable scaling process. In addition to handling tires as you described above, if the driver likes to scale out with his helmet on, then make sure they always have their helmet on when scaling. For JR drivers I always have to remind them to "get in racing position." :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Tires ended up being exactly where I left them stagger wise. Gotta love Maxxis

from my experience air pressure matters for scaling.
i forgot to set the air pressure one time, did not notice until it was all packed away. correct the pressure and the numbers were significantly changed.

also, i have dropped the LR only 1 & 1.5 psi from its starting point of 8, and it will add as much as 3-5% cross by doing so, it also changes stagger.

hope this helps some

from my experience air pressure matters for scaling.
i forgot to set the air pressure one time, did not notice until it was all packed away. correct the pressure and the numbers were significantly changed.

also, i have dropped the LR only 1 & 1.5 psi from its starting point of 8, and it will add as much as 3-5% cross by doing so, it also changes stagger.

hope this helps some
Agree, I made this mistake scaling one time was more like 3-4 psi low, cross changed considerably and gave me a big push on exit.

When scaling a kart do you always use the same size tires with the right stagger and air pressure or does it matter about the size as long as the stagger and pressure is right

Back