Scaling

Lately I’ve been scaling every time I race. Usually scale once and it’s close and am able to tune at the track. That still works for local racing for me but I’ve been running series races and unfortunately have been struggling to get to mid pack so I’ve been trying different stuff every time out

I scale almost every week. I have noted that the toe setting drifts slightly after race day. If the track is rutted up or i had contact with someone/something I will absolutely rescale as I have noted toe being out, Camber not quite right, and even tweaked spindles on occasion. If you want to be consistently fast you can't be hoping that nothing changed.

Here's something nice; with my corner weights and percentages program, if you save your corner weights spreadsheet from last week, (easy to do), you can now put in your new percentages and the spreadsheet will show you the difference (last week compared to this week) between the 4 corners, if there is any. Save that spreadsheet to a new file name and you can use it next week to compare.

We used to scale every couple of races.., now my son drives for someone, scaled before the first race, haven't scaled since, 3 different tracks, 1 asphalt 2 dirt, 3 wins same setup.. I dont know but its working

Did you ever not do this? How did it change your performance?
Didn't do it our first couple years, but we stepped up our competition and when 3 tenths of a second is the difference between 1 and 5th have to make sure everything is dead on, and working as it should.
Yes it did pick up our performance, but the races we do the competition was almost 5 times what our home track was
It goes on the scales the next day at home just like it came off the track, notes are taken, then disassemble.
The Super is done almost the same way, no scales though, just the smasher info

We used to scale every couple of races.., now my son drives for someone, scaled before the first race, haven't scaled since, 3 different tracks, 1 asphalt 2 dirt, 3 wins same setup.. I dont know but its working
I ran a race early this year at a paperclip track. I did everything I could to get the thing to turn, and got it to be decent for the paperclip. My regular track isn't a paperclip, but I made no adjustments between the two and the kart has been really really good. I finally got it to turn through the center... The only problem is, I haven't scaled since before the paperclip race. I have no idea what my numbers are, and honestly a part of me doesn't want to know so that I don't talk myself into changing something that is working really well.

I've taken some pretty decent hits, and it is totally possible that I have bent a spindle, but the way I was taught to check that was with toe and weights, and my toe is fine.

Difficult to understand how the same set up could work on asphalt and dirt! Not to mention if there would be any differences between tracks; in track length, turn radius or banking.

Difficult to understand how the same set up could work on asphalt and dirt! Not to mention if there would be any differences between tracks; in track length, turn radius or banking.
Its easy to understand, whatever setup they have is better than what everyone else has. I know a lot of people who race several tracks and really don't change anything. In those cases driving differently can help a ton.

I ran a race early this year at a paperclip track. I did everything I could to get the thing to turn, and got it to be decent for the paperclip. My regular track isn't a paperclip, but I made no adjustments between the two and the kart has been really really good. I finally got it to turn through the center... The only problem is, I haven't scaled since before the paperclip race. I have no idea what my numbers are, and honestly a part of me doesn't want to know so that I don't talk myself into changing something that is working really well.

I've taken some pretty decent hits, and it is totally possible that I have bent a spindle, but the way I was taught to check that was with toe and weights, and my toe is fine.
I assume you are setting the kart on the scales to check the toe. Given that I would see what my scale #'s are so I could replicate it if I needed to. At least you would know exactly what is working so good now.

Scale every weekend that you race. Before racing either at home or at the track to get a baseline, and also after you get home if you made adjustments. Doesn't matter if the adjustments worked or not, you need to know why they did/didn't and how much did those adjustments changed the chassis.

I assume you are setting the kart on the scales to check the toe. Given that I would see what my scale #'s are so I could replicate it if I needed to. At least you would know exactly what is working so good now.
Yeah, we weren't so lucky on toe, it seemed to get knocked out more.

Asphalt track is 1/6 mile tight turn track, 1 dirt track is 1/8 mile flat track, and the other dirt track is an 1/8 mile banked track.. 3 different tire brands too..

I haven't since my last race, but I will probably be checking it tonight, so I guess I can get numbers from that. I guess I'm concerned with the numbers being wild and wanting to change em.

Back