Schu Smoking!

Also how many races since the rebuild? That is what always scared me. I can have a motor freshened 30 days ago and still put a bunch of races on it depending on how many classes they ran each weekend. You might have an engine that was freshened as little as a month ago with a ton of laps on it. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

I was told absolutely 0 and by looking at it I can believe it because i cant find a spec of dirt anywhere.... well its out running now in the driveway like don suggested will let you know

Verdict is in Thanks Don.... smoking has stopped other than the whisp of black smoke when you hit throttle(alittle to rich or is that good?) let it idle at 2200-2300 and temp never went over 180 and no more blue smoke even after several more starts after..
Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this I appreciate everyone that chimed in.

You want to do the leakdown again make certian you are not on the decompressor to be sure you don't have a valve that needs attention.

ok now you just blew me away lol!what and where is this decompressor?
while doing the leak down i was on tdc and rocked the crank back and forth by hand to get highest reading and went from there and I even tried it with intake valve open and it was still coming out the exhaust and carb. but I will do a leak down on it again probably tomorrow while its hot again. I was also thinking the valves are adjusted to 0 clearance(maybe a tad to tight) cold so when it is hot the valve adjustment would be correct.

If you are doing a leak down test correctly, you will not be able to rock the engine back and forth.

Decompressor is on the camshaft for easy starting. Once the engine is running it swings out of the way. I would back the exhuast rocker off to do the leakdown test.

i was able to turn it by hand while the exhaust valve was leaking and as i turned by hand ( ever so minute i should have said ) it would lessen but still leaked out exhaust I wasn't able to turn it over or anything like that and both valves were what I thought closed.once it reached the extra nudge (my so called rocking it) i was not able to move the crank anymore in either direction I just wanted to try and turn it to see if the leak got worse or better and was able to move it and slowed down the leak on the exhaust side. So now I have to ask ask am I doing this procedure wrong or is there something else you think is going on? Iam open to any help but I do know the smoking quit lol.

When you say turning it by hand I hope you mean with a big wrench. Because if you can do it bare handed either you don't have enough air pressure or that's one weak engine.

If he can turn an engine over with his bare hands while doing a proper leak down. I defiantly don't want to make him mad. :D

haha no I regulated the air down to 35 psi because I didnt know what to set it at and didnt want to blow seals if I ended up sending it back..... I wanted to to really listen for leakage more than anything and even then yes I used a wrench. and turning it i cant express enough it was so minute..... lol

will that help seal the already air loss out the exhaust or should I do what swamp rat suggested and loosen rocker arm

It is evident that you are checking with the valve open due to the decompressor. You need a way to hold the crankshaft when you put air into the cylinder, how did you hold the crank? You can go past TDC on the compression stroke to do the test you will be past the decompressor.

Back