Scuff tires every race weekend

T-roy

How important is it to scuff tires every race? I think we put about 40 or 50 laps on a 1/10 track. Tires look like we never ran them. Raced on a shorter track a few weeks earlier and def had to scuff them. About same distance. People tell me scuff them every race no matter what. Is that always true????

How important is it to scuff tires every race? I think we put about 40 or 50 laps on a 1/10 track. Tires look like we never ran them. Raced on a shorter track a few weeks earlier and def had to scuff them. About same distance. People tell me scuff them every race no matter what. Is that always true????
What Tires ? I think you mean re finish them ( sand them ) scuff is when you put laps on a sticker tire never raced.

It's hard for me to think that scuffing the tires at home would be better than 2 laps around the track. An infrared gun would probably tell you in no time at all if I'm right. A durometer reading would tell you a lot. My overriding thought is; there are a lot of myths floating around every track!

What Tires ? I think you mean re finish them ( sand them ) scuff is when you put laps on a sticker tire never raced.
Yes. I didn't come up with the term. That's what I call scuffs too. From asphalt. Not happening on dirt though. But refinish every race??

It's hard for me to think that scuffing the tires at home would be better than 2 laps around the track. An infrared gun would probably tell you in no time at all if I'm right. A durometer reading would tell you a lot. My overriding thought is; there are a lot of myths floating around every track!
2 laps around a dirt track wont do anything to any tire.

Yes. I didn't come up with the term. That's what I call scuffs too. From asphalt. Not happening on dirt though. But refinish every race??
If there anything but Burris 33's and they look real good they don't need refinished after every race, If there 33's but racing on a track where prep is required and they look good after the race they don't need refinished ever week,If there Burris 33's with very little to no prep I would refinish after every race run but 240 grit nothing more course.

I can see knocking the new off of them (maybe) on dirt. Other than that seems like just putting laps on them. I have learned to do what the fast guys tell you no questions asked. But I have mental issues and question everything. I am not trying to go against what they tell me but sometimes the tires look like I could run them another race before touching them. From what you guys say, I may give it a shot. We sand them to resurface them with a polisher using 80 160 then 220 grit. Thats why I ask, I come up with different or better ways of doing things. IMO the mid grade sanding does the best, I think. LOL. Tracks change so much that you better pay attention.

I can see knocking the new off of them (maybe) on dirt. Other than that seems like just putting laps on them. I have learned to do what the fast guys tell you no questions asked. But I have mental issues and question everything. I am not trying to go against what they tell me but sometimes the tires look like I could run them another race before touching them. From what you guys say, I may give it a shot. We sand them to resurface them with a polisher using 80 160 then 220 grit. Thats why I ask, I come up with different or better ways of doing things. IMO the mid grade sanding does the best, I think. LOL. Tracks change so much that you better pay attention.
T-Roy,

Great points. So when I am resurfacing my tires up to 220 grit, what is the desired end state as far as look and feel? Tires should be almost glass smooth again? Should the edges be rounded or sanded to be blocked or not sanded past the edge lines?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Great points. So when I am resurfacing my tires up to 220 grit, what is the desired end state as far as look and feel? Tires should be almost glass smooth again? Should the edges be rounded or sanded to be blocked or not sanded past the edge lines?
Ryan,
The fast dudes tell me to still resurface every race. They tell me 80 then 160 then 220. We cut back to 160 only at this time. They will have cross hatch and the same feel. I go line to line. With it on a resurfacing machine and a multi speed polisher. I set the polisher to 20. Harbor Freight brand. My resurface machine is an old brake lathe with a 1" rear hub bolted on it. You can also use the nut from the brake lathe as a fast way to hold the wheel on. They will not be smooth unless you go to 220. they will be smoother, not shiny smooth. On the edges I just keep the same contour that they came. I resurface line on one side to lines on the other side. While its turning, soak it with simple green in a spray bottle. Go from left to right. spray it again and go right to left. Different tires will take different procedures, so you will have to just look at them after you do a pass.

If you are needing them smooth, I have seen maxxis that they prep and use a propane torch to burn it in and they come out smooth.

Ryan,
The fast dudes tell me to still resurface every race. They tell me 80 then 160 then 220. We cut back to 160 only at this time. They will have cross hatch and the same feel. I go line to line. With it on a resurfacing machine and a multi speed polisher. I set the polisher to 20. Harbor Freight brand. My resurface machine is an old brake lathe with a 1" rear hub bolted on it. You can also use the nut from the brake lathe as a fast way to hold the wheel on. They will not be smooth unless you go to 220. they will be smoother, not shiny smooth. On the edges I just keep the same contour that they came. I resurface line on one side to lines on the other side. While its turning, soak it with simple green in a spray bottle. Go from left to right. spray it again and go right to left. Different tires will take different procedures, so you will have to just look at them after you do a pass.

If you are needing them smooth, I have seen maxxis that they prep and use a propane torch to burn it in and they come out smooth.
Great detail, exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you

3.jpeg

An example of our plateau finished Vector Cutz blueprinted Burris 33A tires @Carlson Motorsports.
We refinish tires most every weekend. Rare exceptions, but generally they get touched up every weekend.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back