Scuff

Reason being the amount of internal used is to net results of the tire gripping up better. When you scuff tires all your doing is running them to put a good heat cycle on them , for the tire to get a good heat cycle . The tires must grip in order to produce max heat ,
You see where I'm going .
I don't disagree, but I'm with Earl. I always Scuff before if time allows. To me, the tire will go a several laps and be marginal grip. But, will always eventually hit hard and grip after 6-8 laps. When it does that I always tell the driver to stop right then and come off. To me that's when the tire gets the best, so you're starting from the best possible starting place with a new set of tires. How many laps depends on how good the track is that day.

If I can't scuff them before rolling, they will always be ran in practice and scuffed the same, so when they come in and grip up, we do the same and they come off right then. I'd prefer not to prep a tire that hasn't been scuffed externally unless I know for absolute sure I can't scuff it prior to rolling. I feel like it just makes the prep work better. This is only my preference, just like everything else. I don't know that it matters, like a lot of things with tires it seems there is so many ways to make it work.

I don't disagree, but I'm with Earl. I always Scuff before if time allows. To me, the tire will go a several laps and be marginal grip. But, will always eventually hit hard and grip after 6-8 laps. When it does that I always tell the driver to stop right then and come off. To me that's when the tire gets the best, so you're starting from the best possible starting place with a new set of tires. How many laps depends on how good the track is that day.

If I can't scuff them before rolling, they will always be ran in practice and scuffed the same, so when they come in and grip up, we do the same and they come off right then. I'd prefer not to prep a tire that hasn't been scuffed externally unless I know for absolute sure I can't scuff it prior to rolling. I feel like it just makes the prep work better. This is only my preference, just like everything else. I don't know that it matters, like a lot of things with tires it seems there is so many ways to make it work.

To each there own I guess and by no means am I suggesting you or Earl are doing it completely wrong , especially Earl as I consider him to be the wisest man on this site, I Simply giving out my logic of why I always roll first , I've learned to think things through, apply the logic to the Info I've obtained especially the info I proven to be gospel.
Lets start with Maxxis HT 3s I'm not aware of ANY TRACK that gets that good you don't need to Internally prep this tire, and Here in central Pa we got 3 tracks that grip up as good as any . And for Sr Clone flat kart even those require 60 cc of Internal to help that tire make max grip which makes the Tire reach optimal performance , and that tire has to reach a certain Temp some where around 150 * to provide optimal performance,
The Goal of SCUFFING any tire is simply to put a Heat cycle on that tire to toughen it up a little, and to get best results from that Scuff that tire needs to reach that max temp , and the only chance in doing so is when running that tire it needs to be GRIPPING the surface condition at the time when you can put that Scuff on them . Very few of us have our own dirt track that's always prepped properly to go Scuff tires when ever we feel like it, So were at the mercy of the track we support, And when can they give us access to there track to Scuff our tires that we have control of number of total laps it may take to do so , that would be most always AFTER the event your attending , and in a lot of cases that's an event run at night, so track is not making max grip itself, So you can do 100 laps and with out any Internal prep that tire will NEVER grip up enough, and because Tracks not making Max grip even with the Internal prep you won't get the tires to generate TEMP needed to put a proper Scuff on them , BUT you'll be much closer. You explain well what you tell your driver your trying to accomplish and when to Quit, my point is with out that internal in those tires he'll never get To OPTIMAL RESULTS , Same applies to SCUFFING during practice, and that's even worse because your laps available are limited, and grip in the track at that time is less. Let's face it most all events now days have a lot of stiff Competition and to out run that competition one can't go into it half **** " what we all call our bottoms ".
JM2C the way I think . Not pointing out to try to be the smartest guy in the room , just putting it out there so some one might apply it and get better results with there program , Earl and you are by far Tire GURU's than my self and I absorb most all info you guy's put out here and Appreciate that info .

I absolutely understand your logic, I generally don't want the entire carcass to get up to operating temp. Just the outside. And that can usually be accomplished in 10-12 laps or so for me.

But in doing so it also scuffs the mold release off the tire and gives a good surface start your external work.

I'm not saying my way is right, just what works for me. Your way obviously has been working and I wouldn't even consider myself no where near as good as you or especially Earl!

Back