Scuffing tires??

I believe you are wanting to know about re-finishing. Flapper wheel on a grinder, or a belt sander is what I prefer to use. Does not take long with 120 grit.

pretty simple process on either way, the sander or the grinder it dont take but a couple of swipes with either one.

wheel and tire are mounted on a mandril and put into my lathe, run slowly in back gears reverse rotation, I use a flapper wheel about 16 grit and just skim it.

is 60, 80, and 120 best for burris 11s to 33s? and how do you determine which is best for each application? been using a 60 and seems like after 1 or 2 wheels it don't put the hatch marks in te tire.. thanks

you can scuff a tire on a kart or you can scuff the whole tire properly with a flapper disc....either way works good...just no need to scuff in 10 sets with a kart when flapper disc does the same thing only it scuffs the whole tire and all the way across it....

Please explain the difference in effect it has on the kart and on the tires...or what and when to do this way or that for a particular race or when it would call for one or the other to knock the new glaze of an out of the wrapper tire....?????????...because we all know out of the wrapper tires have their place, but aren't the fastest tires on the track...with new glaze on them...and they darn sure wont take prep to well......

Scuffing has always been important on Burris when running on higher bite race tracks. We have found out in the last year and a half how important it is on Maxxis. A new Maxxis tire has too much oil in it, the tire is "gummy". Its hard to prep a new Maxxis or be competitive on a new tire due to the fact its "gummy". A new tire will typically slide off the track and you cant prep it for bite because they do not take prep well. We scuff the tires to knock the surface off and then let it sit so the rubber can dry out and get harder. Once the tire is scuffed and cured you can prep it and race it.

Resurfacing a tire during the week is what you will do with sand paper, belt sander, grinder, etc. That will knock the surface off and give you a nice, fresh surface on the tire.

Until something changes with the Maxxis tire we have no choice but to scuff and sit. The days of fast stickers are gone for now.

So your suggesting that on maxxis tires someone should mount the tires new..mount on a kart and scuff them in on a track..then let them sit for a few days ..then begin the prepping process?

Would surfacing a tire on a machine accomplish the same thing or does it have to be on a kart and hit the track?

I'm fairly sure he's suggesting that "curing" process of letting the tire sit would be quite a bit longer than a few days.

So your suggesting that on maxxis tires someone should mount the tires new..mount on a kart and scuff them in on a track..then let them sit for a few days ..then begin the prepping process?
He's saying Yes but cure more than a few days, I agree 100%.

Would surfacing a tire on a machine accomplish the same thing or does it have to be on a kart and hit the track?
That would be NO to on a machine and yes it needs to be on a kart and hit the track.

Grinding a tire is to put a finish on it and remove glaze/dead rubber

Scuffing a tire is putting a heat cycle in the tire to harden it up.

The type of finish (grit) depends on the track.....Low bite slick tracks = Low grit....high bite abrasive tracks = high grit. The more more the the track has, the finer the finish you need.

I have had plenty of success on Maxxis at the state level without "scuffing" tires. I use a grinder and grind off the top layer of tire and cut the tires a little. I use a torch to torch in prep but have never had a problem with prep not soaking in. All this being said, I would prefer a scuffed set but just because the tires are not scuffs doesn't mean that you can't compete

Back