Sealed Predators

bullerman

any track have any luck with sealed motors other than a L206? Tracks here having trouble with people cheating. Imagine that. One track that is thinking about seeing the motors. I guess you will buy one from the track already sealed. One track here did do that and said it worked good. Just looking for opinions.

any track have any luck with sealed motors other than a L206? Tracks here having trouble with people cheating. Imagine that. One track that is thinking about seeing the motors. I guess you will buy one from the track already sealed. One track here did do that and said it worked good. Just looking for opinions.
That idea comes up from time to time on here. Personally, I hate it. I am 100% legal, but I don't want to buy a "new engine" from the track just to run the class. Make a rule set, set a claim rule, be willing to tech every engine on the race track. I dont feel like its that hard.

My local track does sealed predator. You buy a $99 Hemi take it to the owner and he trades you out with a new one that’s been sealed. Seems to work pretty well

just use the claim rule... you cheat and beat me by a half a track I buy your engine. See how well you do next week.

Claim rule would only work in the out the box type classes .
Semi pro and pro are not going to forfiet there worked engine for 200-300 or 350 Dollars .
Then if it paid 500 and i won im still 150 to the good .
Sealed is the way too go , in the overall scheme of things .
Not perfect but at least reasonable . Till little johnnys dad shows up .

just use the claim rule... you cheat and beat me by a half a track I buy your engine. See how well you do next week.
How does that work out? You claim the motor because you think he's cheating, you run the motor the next week, doesn't that mean you're cheating, if he was?

I've always had this idea that racing was a contest between 2 men and their machines. Seems like now people want to take the machine out of the equation! I've always felt that my superior thinking and mechanical skills (if I really did have them, the jury is out) I could win against a person with superior driving skills. Not anymore, everything is spec. Now it's just a person with superior driving skills that wins, the engine is taken out of the equation. Sad!!

Theres several different claim procedures .
Typically it would need to be proven legal first in one scenario .
Otherwise as you say your just rotating the pruported best engines around .

Theres several different claim procedures .
Typically it would need to be proven legal first in one scenario .
Otherwise as you say your just rotating the pruported best engines around .
The claim rule at my local track is like this. You can claim anybody on ahead of you as long as you finish on the lead lap. You get teched first. If you are legal, then they move on to the other guy. $150. There was a claim last race. Somebody was illegal. Big argument, he was still illegal.

sealed motors... all retaliative, tough to regulate ... we worked a program a couple years back where everyone brought in a motor (new in the box) and a specific chain guard and top plate. dropped them off a week before the first event.. each one went on a shelf, the shelf in the barn had numbers. when you came to the track you picked a number and that's the motor you got. Add your clutch, mount it up and go play.
at the end of the night you pulled into tech and took the motor off right there, pulled your clutch and went home. we never tracked what motor went where, we just put them on the self.. so if you tinkered on it while you had it, those parts or work stayed with the motor when it went in the barn. oil changes every 3 weeks. at the end of the year, those who participated could take it home or leave it for next year. if you took it home, you needed a new in the box motor for the following season. covid put it all on hold

That idea comes up from time to time on here. Personally, I hate it. I am 100% legal, but I don't want to buy a "new engine" from the track just to run the class. Make a rule set, set a claim rule, be willing to tech every engine on the race track. I dont feel like its that hard.
Be careful what you wish for. That’s the road the clone went down

Question. We have trouble with people getting DQ over restrictor plates. They are boring them out. Could the tech have the the owner/driver bring the kart to tech. Take the carb off in front of the tech man, let him check the restrictor plate. Let the owner put the plate and carb back on in front of the tech man and seal it where it can't be removed with some type of seal. Either a wire seal of some type of paint. It's ashamed It's like that. What do other tracks do about plates or do they have that much trouble.

Question. We have trouble with people getting DQ over restrictor plates. They are boring them out. Could the tech have the the owner/driver bring the kart to tech. Take the carb off in front of the tech man, let him check the restrictor plate. Let the owner put the plate and carb back on in front of the tech man and seal it where it can't be removed with some type of seal. Either a wire seal of some type of paint. It's ashamed It's like that. What do other tracks do about plates or do they have that much trouble.
It's not much trouble to tech after each race. I've not heard of someone getting tossed over a restrictor plate in quite some time.

It's not much trouble to tech after each race. I've not heard of someone getting tossed over a restrictor plate in quite some time.
It used to be a BAD problem back in the flathead days. It may be the way the plates have been manufactured. I would look into if it is a certain brand of restrictor plate.

It seems to be a problem here. One got DQ'd Saturday night. Red restrictor plate. They said the plate looked to be a different color Red. There has to be some way to stop the cheating some. But this is just the restrictor plate. This picture is what i think you could. Run a wire se through a valve cover bolt and lower part of the air box so you can't remove the carb.

Attachments

• 20230605_144710.jpg
    20230605_144710.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230605_144710.jpg
    20230605_144710.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 33
Back