Seat height theories

With seat height I've been wondering, since it's hardly ever checked, wouldn't it be best to keep the seat as low as possible? Then lower left weight, since VCG is lower. And I remembered that picture of Donnie nall it looked like the back of his seat was cut off. So that really has me questioning things. Do they give us these setups based on the rules we follow for seat height? Or is the standard seat height the companies sell the karts to us at, better?

If whichever seat height rule applies cutting the back of the seat could not be allowed as it would be a manipulation of the rule.
Also cutting of the seat one would think would be a safety violation of some sort , as it would weaken the integrity of the seat.

With seat height I've been wondering, since it's hardly ever checked, wouldn't it be best to keep the seat as low as possible? Then lower left weight, since VCG is lower. And I remembered that picture of Donnie nall it looked like the back of his seat was cut off. So that really has me questioning things. Do they give us these setups based on the rules we follow for seat height? Or is the standard seat height the companies sell the karts to us at, better?
around 96-98 the Safrits Body Wrap seat came out with a kicked up rear section to allow a seat to be as low as possible with the 14 inch rule. all modern seats are a clone of this design. Later seats like The Recliner took this idea further but some said it was too low?? it really comes down to the drivers physicality, tall? short? long torso? long legs? (You will notice most Pro kart racers would not make the basketball team) what is too low for one driver may be not enough for another. chassis are developed with these jockey drivers so I always count on more left for my large framed self
Chavous just came out with a seat that may be right up your alley been wanting to try one myself but absolutely hate installing seats. chavous pro seat
https://www.facebook.com/chavousrac...306670.-2207520000../2327847647366411/?type=3

Last edited:
around 96-98 the Safrits Body Wrap seat came out with a kicked up rear section to allow a seat to be as low as possible with the 14 inch rule. all modern seats are a clone of this design. Later seats like The Recliner took this idea further but some said it was too low?? it really comes down to the drivers physicality, tall? short? long torso? long legs? (You will notice most Pro kart racers would not make the basketball team) what is too low for one driver may be not enough for another. chassis are developed with these jockey drivers so I always count on more left for my large framed self
Chavous just came out with a seat that may be right up your alley been wanting to tyrone myself but absolutely hate installing seats. chavous pro seat
https://www.facebook.com/chavousrac...306670.-2207520000../2327847647366411/?type=3
Safrits IT was that seats name, there is more copies of our Safrits Edge than the IT

IMG_5794.jpg
IMG_5795.jpg

^^^^ a Safrits EDGE next to a JKB evolution... they are nearly identical. one from 1998 the other 2021.
for some reason I remember them called the a body wrap but it does say edge molded in

I was referring to, what is the lowest seat height you would use if you did not have to follow the rules. Considering I've hardly ever seen them check seat height

I have always been under the impression that seat heights are best determined by the chassis manufacturers suggestions. They will tell you that it is the most important factor in chassis setup and give directions on how to mount it. I had no idea there are variations to the point that rules had to be made.

I was referring to, what is the lowest seat height you would use if you did not have to follow the rules. Considering I've hardly ever seen them check seat height
depends how tall you are and your VCG. Left rear tire will also be an issue if you in a 'L' as they are already close. if your a tall person as low as you can get away with.

^^^^ a Safrits EDGE next to a JKB evolution... they are nearly identical. one from 1998 the other 2021.
for some reason I remember them called the a body wrap but it does say edge molded in
The edge wasn't released until 2003, the edge was the first model after Mike purchased Safrits

quit karting in 98 to return only 4 yrs ago absolutely no reason to buy a seat for a kart in 2003 as we didn't have any karts but you make all kinds of outrageous claims like starting Clay City with Billings so i always take what you say with a grain of salt

quit karting in 98 to return only 4 yrs ago absolutely no reason to buy a seat for a kart in 2003 as we didn't have any karts but you make all kinds of outrageous claims like starting Clay City with Billings so i always take what you say with a grain of salt
You can ask Brian if you like.
Brian and I built clay city, the concession stand, winners circle, still stands today

They do rarely ever check seat height anymore, but every once in a while they do and someone gets tossed for it. Lower seat height can help, but if you arent comfortable with it that low, then it becomes a deterrent and wont help. 99% of kart racers wont notice any difference in on track performance between a legal seat height and a height thats an 1/8"-1/4" under, besides the comfort factor.

i race with BRB, Brian bought it after it was already 8 years old. nice try but your full of it
Lol the lot set empty for 8 years, try again.
There was nothing there but grass.
I built the concessions building by myself, I built the winners circle by myself, and done hundreds of laps on a dozer scattering the dirt we got of the 64 project.
But you go ahead

Back