Seat Positioning

MAS

What do you give up by keeping the seat up off the axle? Being a big boy I’ve broken two seats this past season having them leaned back. I tried a Chavous first and then a select. I know people say to try to keep the seat around 9.5 inches off the axle but with the variances in all the seats you can’t get them all the same

MAS

I’m installing this seat in a Roby Kart. I had the seat in the kart at 9 inches and when I sat in it, it just felt wrong and uncomfortable

racing promotor

What do you give up by keeping the seat up off the axle? Being a big boy I’ve broken two seats this past season having them leaned back. I tried a Chavous first and then a select. I know people say to try to keep the seat around 9.5 inches off the axle but with the variances in all the seats you can’t get them all the same
The bigger the upper body the more you give up by having seat to high as it increases the vertical center of gravity to much, and will always transfer to much weight to the right side hindering corner rotation which kills roll speed.

MAS

The bigger the upper body the more you give up by having seat to high as it increases the vertical center of gravity to much, and will always transfer to much weight to the right side hindering corner rotation which kills roll speed.
Thanks for the info. Is there a guideline that can be used for the higher back seats? I know my Chavous seat has a lot shorter back then the select. I’m also thinking about going to a xxxl seat for the hip room

krtrcn

Im a big guy myself. I have a couple of select seats. The first cracked behind my right shoulder.
The second one I just never not comfortable in. I dont know if the mold had been changed or what.
But having it at 9 inchs off the axle I had a constant neck strain, come from a severe pull neck muscle injury.
Then about 2 years ago I went with the seat that Charger racing is using. I set it at 11 inches off the axle and yes I had to make a few minor adjustments but Im comfortable and it actually helped my lap times.
I know you have people that swear up and down that 9 inches is set in stone. I had a good friend of my he always sat in his kart almost straight up and down and he won several national that way.
So I know it can be done, because we're not all created the same.

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
I've always been suspicious of people who have a "fixed" idea for anything. There's "almost" always more than one way of doing things.

Freezeman

Site Supporter
Ya, I always thought we are doing it all wrong and should be driving in a head first position instead of feet first.

krtrcn

When I first started lay down seats weren't around or few and far between. My first kart had a G Man plastic seat and their was no way you was laying that thing down.

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
Instead of a side-mounted bolt, Bend the tab over 90° and bolt the seat from behind, with a big and thick fender washer between the tab and the seat....that way the force is distributed instead of being focused on the edge of a bolt. Or compromise with a 45° bend and through the left shoulder area...