Securing front driver to the drum

Eric85629

I have a bully conversion drum for my hilliard inferno flame. I went to install a bully style driver and found the snap ring groove is hardly wide enough to put my finger nail into. Others I have are much wider compared to this one. Are the drivers ever secured with safety wire rather than snap rings?
Thank you

That's the older bully style driver, most don't use that snap ring anymore. As you said, it's very thin.
I'm not sure where to purchase them.

You can potentially find the snap rings, or get "Spiro-lock" that will fit.

Attachments

• 20221209_000442.jpg
    20221209_000442.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221209_000451.jpg
    20221209_000451.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221209_001951.jpg
    20221209_001951.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
download__05832.1574024984.jpg
This is the actual Bully snap ring, it's almost double the thickness of the one you mentioned above.
20221209_002038.jpg
This is "Bully style", neither will fit an actual Bully, and bully won't fit them.
The thin like you have is on the left, the thicker on the right is the same thickness as a Bully, but the ID is different.

Last edited:
View attachment 25774
This is the actual Bully snap ring, it's almost double the thickness of the one you mentioned above.
View attachment 25775
This is "Bully style", neither will fit an actual Bully, and bully won't fit them.
The thin like you have is on the left, the thicker on the right is the same thickness as a Bully, but the ID is different.
Thank you, now I know. Guess I can try sending down any ring that fits. Ever hear of people putting safety wire around it? That was a suggestion I heard.

Thank you, now I know. Guess I can try sending down any ring that fits. Ever hear of people putting safety wire around it? That was a suggestion I heard.
If you meant to type "sanding" instead of "sending" dont do it. If it gets hot you will lose the "temper" in the spring clip.

Yeah,271Mac you're probably right. I think SMC made their drivers in the Bully style and used that snap ring. That makes more sense, I forgot about SMC.

It's listed on the Dynocams site, that snap ring should work that 271mac listed. So you can get the proper snap ring instead of altering one.

I believe you could have an SMC clutch gear that looks like a bully. I've used them before. Its frustrating when you first start out and find that parts aren't interchangeable even though they look the same. If you need a clip try the link below or search SMC vortex clutch.
https://www.dynocams.com/category/clutches-smc/kart-clutches/
Thank you. Getting ready for a big dynocam order anyway so I'll add a few of those. Ya, I meant sanding so I guess I'll pass on that idea

There are several different snap ring and circlip options available as already mentioned. Just because different drivers look similar or even fit similarly, doesn't mean that the snap rings will interchange.
Rule of thumb:
Always keep the original snap ring that came with your driver WITH that driver. Like your wife, that driver and snap ring were made to stay married together.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yeah,271Mac you're probably right. I think SMC made their drivers in the Bully style and used that snap ring. That makes more sense, I forgot about SMC.

It's listed on the Dynocams site, that snap ring should work that 271mac listed. So you can get the proper snap ring instead of altering one.
You got it backwards: SMC invented the steel sprocket / aluminum drum connection in 1995. (Look up patent number 5638935.) SMC sold hundreds of sprockets to Buller for about five years until he decided to make counterfeit copies.

The SMC retaining ring is a unique design and had to be custom manufactured to accommodate high centrifugal forces without resorting to amateurish solutions like retaining ring screws. It’s also lighter, less costly and easier to assemble.

You got it backwards: SMC invented the steel sprocket / aluminum drum connection in 1995. (Look up patent number 5638935.) SMC sold hundreds of sprockets to Buller for about five years until he decided to make counterfeit copies.

The SMC retaining ring is a unique design and had to be custom manufactured to accommodate high centrifugal forces without resorting to amateurish solutions like retaining ring screws. It’s also lighter, less costly and easier to assemble.
Pardon me. That's right you told me "drivers where helmets and clutches use gears". .... I remember well, but i guess i didnt listen to you. LOL This is something else you have to put up with when you are new to the sport. I had forgotten your statement when i call. BTW I went to a different clutch after that phone call. Man this is crazy

There are several different snap ring and circlip options available as already mentioned. Just because different drivers look similar or even fit similarly, doesn't mean that the snap rings will interchange.
Rule of thumb:
Always keep the original snap ring that came with your driver WITH that driver. Like your wife, that driver and snap ring were made to stay married together.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Guess I'll be ordering more than a couple clips lol

You made them first, got it. But, most everyone knows them as the Bully style. I guess that says a lot about marketing. I have nothing against your products, or you. I can see why you're a little critical of someone else's product if that's how it happened. Thanks for the history lesson.

Here is a drawing I made of the multiple different types of driver clips i have run into in the last few years. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 26

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know who pioneered the parts & pieces we all use today. So are all the drivers that require the thin clip made by SMC or are there others that copied that design too?

Back