Set up equipment

Ok. Once those are acquired whats next ? I was thinking more like scales, accutoe, caster camber gauge? The higher price stuff

Caster camber gauge, fasten on spindle toe plates, stagger tape, toe tape
Most all those things can be done with basic hand tools and some ingenuity.
String line. Square. Angle finder.
Calculator and notebook.
Cheap tools used correctly trump the most sophisticated systems with no idea if being used properly.
Scales are probably next. But you won't use them as much as you think once you get a handle on what the chassis needs.
Good notes a must.

Tires still wins the budget.

Last edited:
Most all those things can be done with basic hand tools and some ingenuity.
String line. Square. Angle finder.
Calculator and notebook.
Cheap tools used correctly trump the most sophisticated systems with no idea if being used properly.
Scales are probably next. But you won't use them as much as you think once you get a handle on what the chassis needs.
Good notes a must.

Tires still wins the budget.
Honestly after reading this I change my suggestion. Your next tool is a Binder and a pen.

I bought scales first and yes you need them but soon realized theyre almost worthless until you set caster/camber and toe alignment first. Measure those things first and scale after youre happy with those numbers.

Hmmm, we're on ours weekly.....sometimes 2-3 times a week if we're racing different tracks.

Pick up a good scale stand (contact Todd Weber, Jesus Freak on here.) Without a good leveling stand, scales won't be of much use, nor will the front end tools. Sure, you can get it close on your garage floor, but I'm assuming you already have that ability or you wouldn't be asking about purchasing high end tools.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Pick up a good scale stand (contact Todd Weber, Jesus Freak on here.) Without a good leveling stand, scales won't be of much use, nor will the front end tools. Sure, you can get it close on your garage floor, but I'm assuming you already have that ability or you wouldn't be asking about purchasing high end tools.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Hey Brian, I recently had an addition added to my shop just for scaling. Concrete, Perfectly Level, do I still need scale stands? Being my floor is Level. I ask cuz I sold my scale stands recently.

If your just starting out, I wouldn't buy scales. Most people with them will help you out. I know you said setup but a good bead breaker will be worth it weight in gold especially if your doing yellow Vegas.

Gonna be running reapers. The track has a tire rule in the rookie red plate. As far as level surface i have access to a 5x10 fixture table that is hand ground level

Hey Brian, I recently had an addition added to my shop just for scaling. Concrete, Perfectly Level, do I still need scale stands? Being my floor is Level. I ask cuz I sold my scale stands recently.
No. We had our shop floor laser leveled. The guy that finished the concrete thought I was nuts, but I wanted our shop floor perfectly level and I went way overkill (imagine that) when we built the shop. There's always just too much stuff in the way to scale karts inside, so we scale outside on scale stands. :)

my garage floor has a pitch to it and i just add 1/4 or 1/8 plywood squares under the scales to make it level. I have the locations for the scales taped out on the floor. However once you use a table with roll off pads you wont want to work on the floor ever again.

my garage floor has a pitch to it and i just add 1/4 or 1/8 plywood squares under the scales to make it level. I have the locations for the scales taped out on the floor. However once you use a table with roll off pads you wont want to work on the floor ever again.
Not to mention bending over to work on the thing if you don't lift it up and down from a stand every time.
The older I get, the less bending and lifting I am able to do. :)

Intercomp air pressure gauge. Make friends with people with scales and caster/camber/toe gauges. 😊 bring your stuff over squeaky clean and they will likely be more than willing to help.

Back