Setting beads

Bandmn

Good morning, i was wondering what everyone uses when setting beads on tires? I know ive seen dish soap etc but is that pure dish soap or watered down etc. I have a stubborn burris 33 that doesnt wanna pop the top bead and ive never set one before and getting REALLY nervous about the air pressure im putting in it so i keep aborting the process....

I’ve used straight dish soap on really stubborn tires before, 90% of the time though just use windex. Spray the entire tire so it slides in the band. Heating it up will also help to. Vegas are the worst, they take some serious air to pop the bead.

Same here I just spray with windex, now I'm not afraid to put the air to them I make others nervous not saying that's a good thing but I get them to bead, If you only get one side then quit I always re-broke that bead and started over.

Same here I just spray with windex, now I'm not afraid to put the air to them I make others nervous not saying that's a good thing but I get them to bead, If you only get one side then quit I always re-broke that bead and started over.
Thats what keeps happening, the back sode keeps setting but not the front. I rebroke it and tried again and same thing happens.

Just like kj26 spray the whole tire so it slides in the band I now use a clip on air chuck so I don’t have to hold it on there been hearing of the rims blowing apart and serious hand injuries happen have a gate valve to turn air on and let it eat it will go....good luck and b carful

Just like kj26 spray the whole tire so it slides in the band I now use a clip on air chuck so I don’t have to hold it on there been hearing of the rims blowing apart and serious hand injuries happen have a gate valve to turn air on and let it eat it will go....good luck and b carful
I know it can be dangerous thats why i keep aborting might go with a clipon style air chuck so i stay safe

Remove valve, spray windex on tire, put the tire in a tire band and snug it, then add air

NEVER PUT A TIRE IN A PLASTIC TUBE OR PLASTIC BUCKET UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO TO THE ER

Tighten your band much tighter. If you are worried about the tire being twisted, get the beads popped on, then let air out. pop off the easy bead, and let band out to your chosen size. pop it on again.

Lotsa lube is good also. have used wd-40 also.

Remove valve, spray windex on tire, put the tire in a tire band and snug it, then add air

NEVER PUT A TIRE IN A PLASTIC TUBE OR PLASTIC BUCKET UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO TO THE ER
Im definitely NOT using plastic

Attachments

• Message_1554851234229-780x1040.jpg
    Message_1554851234229-780x1040.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 46
I use regular plain old white gojo hand-cleaner on the rim and tire both to get it to pop on the bead. That stuff is just plain slippy. Slather up a Christmas ham with that stuff you could slide it through a key hole.

Definitely helps to have the tire warm (room temperature of 70*+) when mounting.
Mixture of dish soap and water 50/50.
You can also use our Green Apple tire cleaner (my preference.)
I'm not a fan of WD40 or stuff that stays slick -- a tire coming "un-beaded" during a race is never a good thing.
If you've got an "impossible" tire to work with -- Yama-lube (available at most bike shops) works like nothing else.

Definitely use a clip-on chuck and a short air whip to keep your hands well away from the wheel and tire while beading.
Removing the air chuck helps tremendously -- removing/bypassing the regulator on your compressor helps considerably as well.
100psi may still be necessary, unfortunately. Some wheel/tire combinations are just more stubborn than others.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back