Setting slide restrictor on LO206

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

I realized the blue slide carb we have was not screwed down tight and had to close it a bit more (about 1/3 turn) to get it tight per the rules at a recent race. This means the slide opening was probably a bit less than the .520 limit or even the .515 end of the slide tool Jimbo sells. To get where I can get the cap tight but be closer to the legal limit would replacing the gasket help (gasket is original)? If I get a new cap do the newer ones have better tolerances? Or do I just have to sand the thing down as described here and as permitted by the rules? As a follow up do the engine builders on the thread optimize the slide opening in slide restricted LO206 that they sell or is this always a DIY task?

https://www.briggsracing.com/sites/default/files/throttlesliderestrictorguide.pdf

Builders can set your slide to max or near max opening. They need the entire carb, (carb body, slide cap and lock ring) Do not sand/file/or machine the slide. Only the raised part under the cap. Use a new gasket and don't over tighten. I just snug them down without cranking or over tightening. If you have Jimbo's slide tool you can set it your self. Just check often until you get a feel for how much material you are removing. I usually use a marker to mark the cap and ring when finished to help align to the correct opening when finished.

Thanks - I should have been clearer. My understanding is as you say that only the raised area under the cap can be sanded. New caps are not that expensive and I ordered one as a spare in case I mess up. From snug to a .515 opening is about 1/4 turn - I'm not sure how much this is but I don't want to give any legal power away.

I set all of our restrictor slide carbs with the no-go (tech tool), then remove the tool and give the cap an extra Nth of a turn and recheck so that the no-go will not enter under the slide. That's as close as you want to go with it.

Now, you will want to check this often (especially if you've gone through tech and the cap has been loosened or removed.) Better to be safe than sorry.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You can purchase the tech tool yourself, or purchase a pin gauge in the appropriate size and then notch it to fit inside the carb to check the slide opening correctly. It MUST sit on the floor of the carb flat to be used correctly.
Lewis Stout offers a no-go gauge that works very nicely.

I've been using Jimbo's go/no-go gauge, but just tightened down the cap enough on the pin. When I did this the cap was not tight per the Briggs rules and our tech guy correctly flagged this. With the cap "locked and tight" we probably gave up .020" (or something - 1/12 of a turn seems to be about .005" when I use the go/no go.

Back