Setup Advice

6lug

Seeking some opinions here....

This past weekend was my 11yo son’s second race. We have a 2007 Umax Inferno running Jr. Predator weighing 265.

I scaled the kart the night before the race and went by the Umax setup sheet. I know it’s just a baseline but here’s what we went to the track with:

62.2% cross
51.3% left
43.2% front
1.25” front stagger
.75” rear stagger

Every time he hit the track, the kart appeared to enter good but then just SNAP loose anywhere from the center out. Track was wet and we were on Maxxis pinks and blues punching 30-35.

I’ve been reading a lot over the past few days and my conclusion was too much cross that was keeping the LR loaded and causing the kart to be too tight. He explained how much wheel he was putting into it and I can say it’s too much. Am I correct in my conclusion that we need to drop the cross?

What track are you racing at? Size? Location.Some thing's right away I'm seeing. Nose weight is way to low. So is left. What are your cambers set at?

I would start around

45.5-46.5 nose
Left 57-58
Cross at 62 is okay
LF +.5 RF -2.75 maybe more RF camber depending on the track.

With out knowing track/ track size you will most likely need to adjust staggers as well. Once you get some more info on here I'm sure Ken will jump in or JP to help get it a little closer.

how much air? What kind of bite prep in the tires? Maxxis required? Sounds more like a yellow vegas track. I agree with above that stagger in the rear is a little light. 1-1.5, will be hard to get it with maxxis

This past weekend was my 11yo son’s second race. We have a 2007 Umax Inferno running Jr. Predator weighing 265.

I scaled the kart the night before the race and went by the Umax setup sheet. I know it’s just a baseline but here’s what we went to the track with:

62.2% cross
51.3% left
43.2% front
1.25” front stagger
.75” rear stagger

Every time he hit the track, the kart appeared to enter good but then just SNAP loose anywhere from the center out. Track was wet and we were on Maxxis pinks and blues punching 30-35.

I’ve been reading a lot over the past few days and my conclusion was too much cross that was keeping the LR loaded and causing the kart to be too tight. He explained how much wheel he was putting into it and I can say it’s too much. Am I correct in my conclusion that we need to drop the cross?
AS pointed out what were your cambers ? Also distances of rear tires measured from inside edge of wheels to the frame RR & LR, RR should be close like only 1/8" LR should be 3/4" confirm those. we'll figure out your issues which yes current nose and left are low, we've won hundreds of races with the Inferno, We'll get together on the phone based on your schedule here over the holidays and when you race again and I can hook ya up.

62.2% cross
51.3% left
43.2% front
1.25” front stagger
.75” rear stagger

Also something went wrong as these are not U max recommended numbers .

What track are you racing at? Size? Location.Some thing's right away I'm seeing. Nose weight is way to low. So is left. What are your cambers set at?

I would start around

45.5-46.5 nose
Left 57-58
Cross at 62 is okay
LF +.5 RF -2.75 maybe more RF camber depending on the track.

With out knowing track/ track size you will most likely need to adjust staggers as well. Once you get some more info on here I'm sure Ken will jump in or JP to help get it a little closer.
^^^^Ditto what he said.... more nose, more left

We’ve found, when track is wet, we do better running more rear stagger (1.25) and less front stage (1.25)

Keeping your right sides at 34”, getting LR & LR to 32.75, should not be a problem with Maxxis

* keep right sides blown up, to prevent shrinking

these sheets are also VERY useful
https://nogoats.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/chassis-tuning.pdf

Last edited:

62.2% cross
51.3% left
43.2% front
1.25” front stagger
.75” rear stagger

Maxxis pinks and blues punching 30-35 tell me how please.

Aggressive internal & aggressive external.
lve had Yellow Vegas under 20, you can almost push your finger through them lol

Aggressive internal & aggressive external.
lve had Yellow Vegas under 20, you can almost push your finger through them lol
Big difference in Vega and Maxxis, Ive seen Vegas duro at a 5 when Southern Pride was still running. Getting a Vega to 30 is easy, Maxxis is a bit harder. About a 26-28 Maxxis is softest i seen, and lots of times to get that soft its a less rolled intenal tire.

Back