Setup starting points

Start with the manufacturer's recommendations.
If you are asking it a different way, I set up cross first, then front then left.

Start with the manufacturer's recommendations.
If you are asking it a different way, I set up cross first, then front then left.

Would you not want to do cambers and Toe first as they change so does cross and left. even then you will revisit cambers after Cross.

We set the front end then get left and nose % correct. Then set cross and revisit front to fine tune. Find it important to check the LF ,RF then back to the LF to make sure nothing moved. When changing Toe, Camber and Castor you will affect the other opposite side. This is why we always end on the side we started on.

Just a thought I was having.... Where do most karters start when setting up there karts.

The quick answer I have for your question is most start with scaling the kart. The reality of it is your wasting your time scaling the kart, unless everything else is right.

1. You start with complete disassemble of your kart.
2. Then clean and inspect every part, including nuts and bolts.
3. Next replace, repair or take not of anything not 100% functional, so if a future adjustment does not work correctly it might be related to a bad part.
4. Set your seat in place per factory specks, without binding or forcing parts during the install.
5. All parts installed from here on without binds. From here on if anything binds or is difficult to install make it fit and easy to install.
6. Install axle assembly.
7. Install front spindles.
8. Install bumpers and nerfs.
9. Install engine and chain.
11. Install wheels and tires which will be used when kart is first put on the track.
12. Position everything to factory locations without binds or forcing anything into place, per factory setup sheet if available.
13. Install body work, without binds or forcing anything into place.
14. Scale the kart and set to factory specks.
15. Race it and fix any on track problems.

If you do not have factory specks for best guess initial setup baseline, the only thing you can do is make your best guess based on what you know and your experience for a baseline.

In any case after preparation and scaling, it's always about fixing on track problems. If your preparation is good, you will be able to fix on track problems through normal at track adjustments of the chassis and tires. If you can't then either your basic setup or baseline is off, your preparation of the kart is sloppy or you have bad parts or a bent chassis.

If it's all new and your basic setup per factory setup does not get you close enough to be able to fix on track problems, then follow what's next. Fix your mechanic skills putting the kart together and quit imagining things you do with your hands putting the kart together are ok. It's very easy to just wish and pray something you put together is ok, when it is not ok and you have seen for yourself it's not ok.

A sloppy poor mechanic is not dumb, just lazy and very willing to say somethings ok and then believe it's ok, when it's not. There is no in between when putting something together, it's either goes together right or it's wrong.

The quick answer I have for your question is most start with scaling the kart. The reality of it is your wasting your time scaling the kart, unless everything else is right.

-------------------------

I haven't seen my camber (caster) change since I first set it. We check/set toe every race but only re-scale every so often and it's usually OK.
So you are correct.
Naturally as HpTqfast says you have to go check over the %'s you have already set to make sure they are where you want them since every adjustment moves weight to somewhere.
I set cross first because it's the biggest # and %. Just makes sense to me.
The first time was the most difficult and time consuming, but after we got close it kinda fell into place.
Al Nunley's spreadsheet makes it way easier.

I start by making sure my scales are all level to each other, that I have the correct sized tires with correct pressures that I intend to race with, and the driver is sitting still in the seat with helmet.
Any deviations from those and I'm wasting my time.

Back