Sf60 help

I just purchased a sf60. I just need a couple stupid questions answered. The manual states 15” of h20. Do I actually pour water inside? If so how do I measure that accurately. Or is that what the two velocity probes are for?

Also does anyone have any head and carb attachments for Briggs animal and/or Honda Engines? 120/160. Anywhere that still sells that stuff?

Thanks for any help
Sorry for the ignorance just trying to learn

I just about spit my coffee out!
...and you just about ruined your flowbench!

If you have the manual, study it, and study it well.
These flow benches make testing "almost" fool-proof.
Most of the testing is done @ 15" of water / vacuum for comparisons reasons.
Some choose to flow@ 28". I generally use 15", but you can see smaller changes (ie w./ pitot tube) when testing @ 28."

I don't know if Randy Brzezinski (sp) still has anything for these benches, but that's who made the majority of my fixtures (and for Superflow back in the day.) Other than that, you'll need to fab up your own stuff.

If you're this deep (flow bench testing) into building engines, then making up some adapters for the different bolt pattern/offset/bore size carbs will be a snap. Just use your mill and a chunk of aluminum plate and whittle out as many adapters as you need.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

@CarlsonMotorsports
Lol! I swear I didn’t even attempt to add water. That’s why I’m on here asking. I’ve been slowly trying to absorb the data in the book. But it kept saying 15” of water, h20 etc. so I had to ask. I’ve built a few small engines, and a few drag engines with my dad with mediocre to decent results, but expert is far from where I am. But I am very ambitious to retain info and learn. Trying to build our program maybe help some other folks we race with and supplement a little racing costs along the way.

I figure making fixtures was going to be on the menu. I’m still gathering tools. Picking up a sunnen model lb grinder this week. Looking at a land and sea water brake dyno decked out. Etc. I appreciate your input, glad to be at the bit end of the joke, brighten up your Monday lol.

Also one more question the book is vague about, is the velocity probes. How do those work, where do they go, what do I do with them?

Thanks for any help, very appreciative

I just purchased a sf60. I just need a couple stupid questions answered. The manual states 15” of h20. Do I actually pour water inside? If so how do I measure that accurately. Or is that what the two velocity probes are for?

Also does anyone have any head and carb attachments for Briggs animal and/or Honda Engines? 120/160. Anywhere that still sells that stuff?

Thanks for any help
Sorry for the ignorance just trying to learn

I made my fixture for clone heads by cutting off the crankcase from the cylinder of a clone block and facing off the cut end. Added 4 bolts to hold it to the blue plate on the top of the sf-60 add rtv to seal the interface. For carb testing I bolt the carb to a head, always use the same head. You cam use the same procedure for the Anamal. I hope this helps, it works for me. Always make sure to have everthing sealed up. Remember to never turn the unit on with the throttle closed?

What range do you run on carbs, and heads? Do you always run at 15”? Or when do you choose or know when to choose more inches? I modified a fixture I had and got a few tests in. my cfm numbers on any given carb at range 4 from IE:
22.1-22.7 jumping up and down. I’m assuming that’s perfectly normal.

I’m going to also assume that any carb that’s bouncing in those ranges aren’t going to perform in any noticeable amount good or bad on the dyno or track, am I right?

am I allowed to ask, how are you getting on testing at 15" now?.......is it enough to detect the difference between good, average or bad heads?

Here's a pretty good write up on the subject. The principles pretty much apply to heads also.
https://www.rasoenterprises.com/engine-technology/40-carburetion/19-carb-flow-rating
Convert inches of water to inches of mercury (hg)
https://www.convertunits.com/from/inch+of+water+column/to/inch+of+mercury
I made my fixture for clone heads by cutting off the crankcase from the cylinder of a clone block and facing off the cut end.
I did something similar back in the day after using a vacuum gauge to get some real world vacuum levels on motors running at wide open throttle. I'm thinking most folks would be surprised at the intake port vacuum level of a clone running at 7000 rpm with a stock carb. :)
I'm sure some have done it, but they're not talking.

Back