Sheep foot?

Lucky_7

Does anyone have a good idea or implement to use as a small sheeps foot on a kart track? I can build it if necessary.

HARD red dirt/clay. Gets a dust/fluff on race night that limits the track to one lane. You can stick a flathead it in the dirt about a 1/4" inch most nights. Im not saying the track isnt a good track. It would be awesome it it held more water so another lane would come in. I talked with the owner over the weekend and he has been looking for something to try to sheep foot it and see if it would help.

HARD red dirt/clay. Gets a dust/fluff on race night that limits the track to one lane. You can stick a flathead it in the dirt about a 1/4" inch most nights. Im not saying the track isnt a good track. It would be awesome it it held more water so another lane would come in. I talked with the owner over the weekend and he has been looking for something to try to sheep foot it and see if it would help.
You don't need a sheep foot, just more moisture to start out with and some calcium would help or at least laundry soap in final water, NO track will hold a second groove without running it with karts, practice 5 laps high groove then 5 laps now groove same session ever class you'll get a second groove.

You don't need a sheep foot, just more moisture to start out with and some calcium would help or at least laundry soap in final water, NO track will hold a second groove without running it with karts, practice 5 laps high groove then 5 laps now groove same session ever class you'll get a second groove.
Back in my R/C track prepping days we would use Tide laundry soap to keep the track wetter longer. And not to sound like a commercial, but we tried the cheaper stuff, and literally used twice as much to get the same result as the Tide lol.

I havent used straight calcium, but the soap worked wonders on those little tracks to keep the dirt wet, and together. on those tracks it would get loamy out of the groove, but really helped the tracks in general. I can't imagine it would hurt anything in karting.

I'd be inclined to try one of those triangular spiked aerators, gone around several times, then misted water.... Single drum padfoot rollers can be purchased, though.

I have seen this running in procedure used at a track we crew chiefed at many times, and it really does work. With karter's tendency to run the inside all the time in turns, if the track looked right for the main I would take 1 tooth off the rear sprocket and tell the driver to favor the outside line - it never failed to pick us up a few places, as the driver understood the moves necessary to conserve momentum, even allowing him to use that momentum to pass a kart in front of him on the inside once in awhile.

He has tried the lawn airators and has another plugging style drum, both both dont do a good enough job. Ill mention the two lane hot laps and see if he wants to try it.

Most days they just let the karts have at it. He does put cones out to move the running lane up during hot laps. Some days we have a golf kart and or a small pickup that packs the track. It normally doesnt help.

Im no expert , oklahoma = dry hot sandy red clay dirt with rock shale mixed in .
Its going to take a lot of water early on , not the day of or day before .
Im certain Racing Promoter knows how too prep a track . Working the grove in during warm up / hot laps is assuredly right
A heavier packing vehicle with fat smooth tires may help as well .
I always thought discing it up a few inches down , but they say no an inch is enough .

Most days they just let the karts have at it. He does put cones out to move the running lane up during hot laps. Some days we have a golf kart and or a small pickup that packs the track. It normally doesnt help.
Gotta use more water and run it in with the small pick the entire track, and IF it's surrounded by grass water the grass real good inside and outside, then re spray with water and leave the karts finish it.

If its an hr from Tulsa to the east and a small bullring they need to keep watering the top and packing it in. We ran it once and it was throwing enough fluff to build a cushion if it had any moisture, my kids were throwing rooster tails coming off the corners we ran treads.

If its an hr from Tulsa to the east and a small bullring they need to keep watering the top and packing it in. We ran it once and it was throwing enough fluff to build a cushion if it had any moisture, my kids were throwing rooster tails coming off the corners we ran treads.

40 mins south.

Anybody ever used a rubber tire pneumatic packer like contractors use. I think it would be great for a kart track to pack it. I wouldn't think it take a lot of time to do it. Most of the tracks here use a truck of some sort.

Anybody ever used a rubber tire pneumatic packer like contractors use. I think it would be great for a kart track to pack it. I wouldn't think it take a lot of time to do it. Most of the tracks here use a truck of some sort.
we've raced on a track that does that and it seems like it brings the moisture to the top of track. i could be wrong about that.

Seems like that could run the risk of making a really rough surface. having used one of those packers quite a bit, you have to have the dirt incredibly soft for it to pack smoothly, which then negates the pack as soon as something puts weight on it. Would it pack? sure it would, but it would have to be done the day or night before the races, and then the track would dry VERY hard. I agree though, it would pull the moisture up.

Back