Shoe clutch noise

Prowler31

We check the rpm engage on a shoe clutch today and it make a slight rattling noise at around 3000 rpm..
This is the first time we have had to use one, it seems to pull good in the shop
It just seems noisy
Is this normal??
I think it's a stinger??

Last edited:
it might be chattering. I know with a hillard fury, when it does that I put wd-40 on the shoes and it should go away. then we I pull it off ill clean the shoes, blow everything out, and spray the shoes with wd-40.

It could be set up wrong and isnt engaging correctly for your engine. What RPM is your clutch engaging at, and what engine is it being used on? If its engaging at 3000 RPM, that is too low for all unrestricted engines and most JR engines also

It sounds like a chattering sound.... It didn't kick in at first but started working and does it at right rpm...
It's got yellow springs I think....
I'll try the Wd 40
Thx

We check the rpm engage on a shoe clutch today and it make a slight rattling noise at around 3000 rpm..
This is the first time we have had to use one, it seems to pull good in the shop
It just seems noisy
Is this normal??
I think it's a stinger??
A stinger will rattle a lot.

Does your clutch have 2 shoes and 2 springs, or 3 shoes and 3 springs? 3 shoes and springs is a stinger or stinger copy. 2 shoes would be the typical Noram/Premier clutch, both good clutches but the stinger is the better one of the 2. If it has 4 shoes then its a Hilliard fury, flame or blaze. All had yellow springs as a choice. Did you buy it new or get it used? If it was used it could be due for a rebuild or new shoes/drum. Wd-40 is what is used to clean them. Try lightly sanding the surfaces of the shoes and the contact area of the drum to remove any black you see on them, then spray with Wd-40 and wipe off lightly with a clean rag. That is the normal cleaning process after each race day, be sure to lube the bearing or bushing inside the drum with a couple small drops of oil or grease, but be very careful not to use much.

Thanks everyone.... It has 3 shoes, so it seems to be a stinger
I got it on a buy out of buyout, guy said it only had a few races on it
Took it apart, needed cleaned and Wd 40...sanded everything... Much better!!
Thanks again for feedback

DC

Back