SHort block vs Complete Motor?

Peter21X

Just purchased a Cadet Kart with an LO 206 motor but am learning has old seals. We want to give track time to our little racer. I believe its okay for our local club if they ever race again. Our alternative is to race with clubs hours away (we are Cal Central Coast, they are Central Valley).
Is it cost effective to buy short block and have head refurbished and parts swapped over verses buying complete motor? We are on budget right now but looking to grow and expand to adult LO 206 karts too. Our local club seems to be dying but we hope for resurgence.
Advise?

A middle step is to buy just a bare motor (not a full kit) and move the pipe/clutch/clutch guard over. (and have 2 heads and tons of spares). The older head should be more stable than a new head (as long as the valve seats can be cut so you get good seal).

Just purchased a Cadet Kart with an LO 206 motor but am learning has old seals. We want to give track time to our little racer. I believe its okay for our local club if they ever race again. Our alternative is to race with clubs hours away (we are Cal Central Coast, they are Central Valley).
Is it cost effective to buy short block and have head refurbished and parts swapped over verses buying complete motor? We are on budget right now but looking to grow and expand to adult LO 206 karts too. Our local club seems to be dying but we hope for resurgence.
Advise?

See my reply to your post in another thread.
...AND, it's always nice to have a spare/practice engine as well. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Why will it need refurbish soon after breakin? Do things tend to move and settle or poor
initial craftsmanship?
thank you all

They don't "need" to be redone soon after break-in, but there is an advantage for those looking to optimize power to get everything they can out of these sealed engines.
Typically the exhaust seat will settle in after a few heat cycles and gets elliptical shaped and doesn't seal as well as it should in a race engine. A light touch up of the seats is needed to get that back to (better than factory) specifications.

If you are just starting out, or club racing for fun, I wouldn't get caught up in the minutia of details on "blueprinting" these engines just yet. Run the snot out of it, have fun, learn as much as you can focusing on your driving and chassis set up...then have the engine tuned to optimum when it's much more likely that you will see an advantage from doing so.

They don't "need" to be redone soon after break-in, but there is an advantage for those looking to optimize power to get everything they can out of these sealed engines.
Typically the exhaust seat will settle in after a few heat cycles and gets elliptical shaped and doesn't seal as well as it should in a race engine. A light touch up of the seats is needed to get that back to (better than factory) specifications.

If you are just starting out, or club racing for fun, I wouldn't get caught up in the minutia of details on "blueprinting" these engines just yet. Run the snot out of it, have fun, learn as much as you can focusing on your driving and chassis set up...then have the engine tuned to optimum when it's much more likely that you will see an advantage from doing so.

These engines will last forever. Built with quality that no other engine can even come close to matching. Brian is correct. Biggest thing is keep air filter clean and oiled and change oil. They are people running theses engines 3 4 years doing nothing but touching up the valves , changing the spark plug. And just normal maintenance .
I just bought a used Lo206 that is about 5 years old. tore it apart and could not believe how little wear was on it.

Thank-you

These engines will last forever. Built with quality that no other engine can even come close to matching. Brian is correct. Biggest thing is keep air filter clean and oiled and change oil. They are people running theses engines 3 4 years doing nothing but touching up the valves , changing the spark plug. And just normal maintenance .
I just bought a used Lo206 that is about 5 years old. tore it apart and could not believe how little wear was on it.
Just another reason we love the LO206 for our young racer. Thanks

Back