Should on board and helmet cams be banned?

paulkish

old fart
Reduce karting cost, level the playing field and eliminate a device used to create conflict between tracks and participants, by eliminating on track camera's.

First anticipated answer:

It's used to resolve conflict not create it. Yeah sure, if it wasn't there the track would have better control. I learned years ago when cameras at the track were not all that common. Even pictures can be interpreted any way someone likes to interpret it. Years ago the rule was don't even bother trying to bring your movie for us to look at, we don't look at them or use them making decisions.

very useful device. If you cant afford to race in the class your in, find another hobby. I'd like to race nascar but I know I cant afford it.

On board cams and or helmet cams are not a performance advantage on the track during a race. It is a non tech device just as a tach like a mychron or alfano is, and those are not banned

Cameras are for fun mostly, from what I've seen from the footage. You can get very useful info from them, especially with the Junior drivers

It's my understanding the OP isn't serious about much of anything.

In this case I suspect they see real issues with them.

I don't see the necessity of a ban, as I don't think the extra expenditure makes for a discernable competitive advantage to those with the cameras. Officials always have the option to ignore competitors who may be trying to show them video.

Yes, they effect the air flow over your helmet , and not to mention the weight also. Just spent your money on tire program instead.

As a dad when I can get my son one he will have one so we can sit down and go over his race so he can learn and improve himself... After every race I be sure and tell him something he did good and then ask him what he thinks he needs to do to improve and what I can do to his kart to improve him

Paul, you so funneh. Most can't even watch the footage without a laptop handy to pull the footage from the storage device. There are screens for some though to watch footage back. Most helmet cam footage doesn't even show what might have happened to the user. Only real way is off track cams, or someone's footage from behind you. So, me thinks Paul is just getting antsy in the off season early.

I think they should outlaw digital tire gauges , its an unfair advantage that someone should be able to adjust their air to 1/10th of a pound over my $20 analog gauge... :)

I think they should outlaw digital tire gauges , its an unfair advantage that someone should be able to adjust their air to 1/10th of a pound over my $20 analog gauge... :)

You have a $20 analog gauge? WOW ! Only kind we ever used was a pencil gage that handled low air pressure. There hard to find now a days, but they work. I wonder if I can find one with a camera on it ?

Might as well ban tachs also, no need for someone to know their lap times, RPM drop or engine temps.......:D

In all seriousness, for every negative circumstance a camera creates, the benefits will still far outweigh the negatives IMO. I've been to a lot of races, both big and small, and I've never seen one used to try and sway a track official in a disagreement, but I have seen them used by a driver to critique his or herself's driving ability or to video the memories that are created at the tracks.

Reduce karting cost, level the playing field and eliminate a device used to create conflict between tracks and participants, by eliminating on track camera's.

First anticipated answer:

It's used to resolve conflict not create it. Yeah sure, if it wasn't there the track would have better control. I learned years ago when cameras at the track were not all that common. Even pictures can be interpreted any way someone likes to interpret it. Years ago the rule was don't even bother trying to bring your movie for us to look at, we don't look at them or use them making decisions.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/davea7/tumblr_mijogxdgvm1s5lf2ro1_500_zps85947feb.gif

Back