Shrinking tires

IamGroot

I am trying to shrink a yellow Vega LR tire down to 32 1/2” but it seems no matter what I do it is stuck at 33 1/8. I have had luck shrinking/growing tires in the past using an internal prep and a hot lamp while rolling but I don’t want to soften it, in fact I’d like to harden it 5 points or so. Any thoughts as to an internal prep that won’t soften? I have found 7 older but new in the wrapper yellow Vegas that I can buy for half price of new but if I can’t get them the right size they do me no good. I’ve never had an issue in the past of sizing tires??
To date I’ve tried heating it in the oven up to 200* and rolling it with heat but nothing has worked.

I doubt you'll get it to shrink 5/8" But heat it good pull the gut out and put it in a freezer for 1 hr, even If the tires are new If there to old you'll never get them to perform like fresher new rubber.

Thanks all. These were 33 1/8 when I mounted them up originally and haven’t moved a bit. I’m beginning to think it’s just because they’re older because I’ve never had an issue getting the rest of my LR’s down to 32 1/2. I suppose I could put them on 8 3/4 wheels but I’ve already got a bunch of 8 1/2’s

I pull the valve stem. Heat them up. Compress the tire with my feet and insert the valve stem. Set aside and let them cool. Have got many down from 33+ to the 32 1/2 range.

Dan

Karting is getting outta hand now... you mean to tell me that latest Mychron let’s you use TPMS sensors.... lol

if you dont have an oven in your shop find a friend with an over in their shop
Pre heat your oven to 300
remove valve stem
put in for 8 minutes.
flip it and heat for 7 more
remove and let cool. put it in the roller or flip it every 10 minutes while it cools.
you can also shock it by putting it in cold water. put the valve stem in if you shock it

On my tire work stand, I heat the tire till is just starts to smoke with a torch and no valve core. You will see it shrink. I then put the core in and let it cool. Repeat as needed. Some like to cool the tire fast in a bucket of water?

All the above are right. The answer is heat. Oven is my preferred method, Wife will not permit That anymore. I as most of us have done, used propane torches,
Bought old dutch oven from appliance store that does sell used stuff..
Heat 250 300 to grow them Take them out put core back in and air until desired circumference Is reached. Very carefully, dunk in a tub of cold water and hold them underwater till they cool. They will stay that diameter forever.
To shrink them same thing except put in valve core after heating and let sit till cold. Or put in freezer, pour alcohol over them , spray with water hose. toss in to the snow bank. But sometimes you just have to either get a wider rim or another tire When shrinking a tire..

Back